LIX. Slumber

"Seriously

"Seriously. Stop hurting Demetri," I said to Jane as she yanked a comb through my hair.

Jane and I were crowded in the bathroom of a small, mediocre motel room while the guys were out cleaning up the evidence of the car wreck. I'd just gotten out of the shower and Jane, sick of looking at my unruly mane, insisted on combing it out for me.

"It is pertinent that I maintain order amongst the ranks. I can't skimp on punishment simply because it offends you," Jane said.

"You don't hurt Alec," I complained.

"Alec doesn't do anything to deserve it."

"I strongly disagree," I retorted.

"Look, I'm not happy about the name calling either, but he was just upset."

"He sure knows how to make a girl swoon," I said sarcastically. "It's almost like he wants me to hate him."

"Whatever," Jane said, brushing me off. "Anyway, you should be thanking me about Demetri. Every time I torment him I give you a perfect excuse to crawl all over him."

"Are you demented?" I asked incredulously.

Jane smirked at me through the mirror.

"I don't need you to give me an excuse to crawl on him, anyway," I added stubbornly. "I could do that myself if I really wanted to."

"Oh, right. That makes complete sense considering how hard you struggle to even maintain eye contact with the man," she snickered.

"I do not!" I protested. "What do you care, anyway? I thought you didn't like us together."

Jane continued to comb my hair without responding.

"What?" I demanded.

"I saw you two in the convenience store," she finally said.

"And?"

"You were cute."

"Wait— are you giving us your blessing?" I asked, lighting up.

"Absolutely not," Jane said sternly.

"Whatever," I huffed. "I don't need your permission anyway."

"You do remember that you're supposed to be with Alec, right?"

"Literally nobody wants that but him," I said coldly.

"But he's your mate, nonetheless," she pressed.

"You don't have to remind me," I grumbled.

"Okay. So what's the plan? Is the dashing white knight going to save the sweet, helpless princess from the clutches of the evil prince?" Jane teased cruelly.

"No!" I sputtered.

Jane raised her eyebrows, giving me a knowing look through the mirror.

"It's not like he has feelings for me, anyway," I blushed. "This is nothing more than a pathetic case of unrequited puppy love."