Chapter 2 Lazy Dayz

Dani's bag slumped loudly onto the floor of the tiny employee locker room. A weary sigh left her.

Dani had been working at the Lazy Dayz Diner for the past fourteen months. Hal, the old man who ran the place gave her a job after she got rid of nasty poltergeist for him, said that "It'll be handy to have you around if something else funky happens."

She had just gotten back, she hadn't even had any time to stop at her apartment to drop off her things. A voice came from the other side of the door.

"You decent?" Came a familiar southern drawl.

"You mean am a dressed or am a kind upstanding citizen?"

"I'ma take that as a yes." A salt and pepper head of hair poked around the door followed closely by a wide frame draped in a greasy white apron. He took one look at her and scoffed "Damn kid, you look like crap."

"Wow thanks, Hal you really know how to make a lady feel good about herself." She flashed herself a look in the clouded mirror on the door of her locker.

He wasn't wrong she did look like crap. She had managed to stop off at a gas station just outside of town to patch herself up. The gash on her cheek had started to bruise a little around the edges on the drive over. Dark circles hung from her bottom lids making her usually bright green-blue eyes dull. She hadn't slept in two days.

"You sure you don't want to take the day off?" Hal asked pulling her from her nitpicking.

"Na, I'm fine." She rubbed a knuckle over her eyebrow. "Just had trouble sleeping that's all. I'll be fine when I'm back in my own bed."

"Are you sure that's all it is?" Her eyes flicked to his so briefly he almost missed it. "Dani?"

"It's not important, I'll deal with it." He eyed her for a moment.

"Fine." Dani watched his eyes shift. Business mode activated. "You're late and your section is filling up. Do me a favour and get there before Kate loses her mind. She's going on a date with that boy again and doesn't want to be late. She's been going on about it all day."

"You got it, boss." She saluted. Hal left grumbling to himself as he went. Daniella got changed into her work clothes, tied up her hair in a messy sort of knot at the back of her head and slipped her pen into it. 

 -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Sam sighed as the engine ran to a stop outside the Lazy Dayz Diner. His stomach grumbled in protest of being ignored for so long. He eyed the dog in the back seat.

"Sorry, buddy you're gonna have to wait here." The kay nine looked positively offended by the statement.

The door creaked as Sam stepped onto the chessboard linoleum. The air crackled with activity, waitresses rushed back and forth taking and serving orders. All the booths were taken and so were the bar stools. One of the waitresses spotted him scanning the room. She approached him with a tray piled high with plates of food. 

"Oh, you can take the booth in the corner over there." She pointed to the opposite end of the room. Two teens were cuddled up, one on the other lap, their faces firmly attached. "Hey Vinnie, Lance quit sucking face and order something or get out!" She ordered. Sam tried to hold back a laugh at the bluntness. The teens scowled at her then slid out of the booth. "I'll be with you in a minute."

"Uh, thanks..." His eyes flickered to her badge "Dani"

"No problem." She chirped.

Sam dropped onto the worn red leather. He peered out the window. Miracle had his scruffy head poked out of the car window, barking at passers-by.

"So what can I do for you today sir?" Came Dani's voice. Sam looked up in surprise, he hadn't heard her approaching.

"Oh," his eyes flicked to the menu. "Just a salad."

"And to drink?"

"Coffee, black." He watched her jot down his order. Now that he really looked at her there was something about her that he couldn't quite place. She turned to leave "Oh wait!" She turned back.

"Yes?"

Sam pulled his fake FBI badge from his pocket.

"I was wondering if you could tell me about the disappearances over the past week."

Dani eyed him and the badge for a long moment. Sam felt slightly uncomfortable under her intense stare. Then a smirk crossed her face.

"You're a hunter."

"What! How did you-"

"The fake badge... and the fact you're dressed like a lumberjack with all the flannel, it's basically our uniform at this point."  He took a long look at her. For the first time, he spotted the bruise on her face along with the white medical patch just poking out from the collar of her blouse. "You are a hunter too?" It came as more of a statement than a question.

"Bingo! That'll be why I haven't heard about these disappearances till now, I just got back from a hunt." She chirped. "Hal I'm going on my break!" She bellowed toward the kitchen. A voice floated back.

"You just got here Kid." It came warningly.

"I don't care. You buried the lead. I'm taking my break." She plopped down into the booth across from Sam. "How can I help?" 

AN: The picture is Hal BTW 😁