Chapter 6 - The Archer

Ostara had been at Hogwarts for a week. Everyday brought a new struggle for her to worm her way out of. Whether that be teacher's accusing her of not paying attention, or Isidore Rosier undermining her and sneering derogatory terms. But luckily enough for Star, she thrived off of chaos. With every hurdle, she grew more alive.

"You're cheerful today," Tom said as his steps began to sync with Ostara's. "I thought you'd be mad about that detention you got."

"The detention you gave me you mean?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ostara, you cannot walk around hexing first years because their singing annoyed you."

"I'd do it again," she said. She found herself saying this phrase a lot the past few days.

"I knew you'd be trouble." He dropped his smirked, a sort of kindness appeared in his eyes. But there was something off about it, like his eyes were faking it. "Last night was fun."

"Not enough alcohol in my opinion." Star smiled.

The previous night they had all hung out in the common room. They shared their favourite folktales and even drank the small amount of fire whiskey Abraxas was able to acquire.

The night grew later and soon one by one they began to retire. But not Tom. He stayed up with Ostara just the two of them. He asked her many questions about her life. Personal questions, but she didn't mind sharing them with him.

They stopped out front of the classroom door to defence against the dark arts. Tom pushed the door and held it open for Ostara.

"Thank you." She strode in and took a seat near the back of the class. A small part of her was hoping Tom would follow and take the seat next to her, but before her mind had time to process that thought, a thick stack of books were slammed down on the desk next to her. It was Edison Avery. "What are you doing?" she asked, taken back by the boy's actions.

"Hush, class is starting." Ed always wore a serious expression. He never really moved much, but when he did his movements were always sharp and precise. It made Ostara wonder if that was the reason he sat so still. Was he always calculating his next move in his mind? As if life was a giant chess game? Was he always preparing for the need to strike or make a swift get away? Almost as if he was on edge but completely calm at the same time. Ostara had never met anyone like him.

They sat in silence as Professor Merrythought began the lesson. Not a word was spoken between them the entire lesson.

_____

Class finished and everyone had begun to exit the classroom. Tom stayed behind, taking what seemed like the longest time possible to pack away his things. Ostara stood behind him at the door, watching and waiting for him to exit.

"Nope!" A hand clutched around her wrist dragging her out of the doorway and into the hall.

"Hey! Stop!" she protested.

"You're not doing that today. You're coming with me," Edison said still clutching her by her frail wrist.

"Where are we going?" she asked, as he pulled her out into the fresh air.

"Change." He threw her a duffle bag as they continued to move further away from the castle and closer towards the forest.

Strange animals Star had never seen before made their way into her her view.

"Change in the middle of the forest?" They had finally stopped walking. They were deep in the forest now, their voices were the only ones that could be heard.