Chapter 36 - Artesian Silk and Scandals

Ostara sat at the breakfast table amongst the Slytherin's as she tried to keep her mind off of the dreaded day which was closely approaching, her birthday. As far as she was aware, none of the other students knew about her birthday.

There were a few reasons Star was not looking forward to the date. To begin with, it reminded her of her father. She had not once spent a birthday away from him and her body was oozing with anxiety at the thought of him trying to make contact. The other reason was that this meant she was eighteen now - of age to do most things, even rule a kingdom.

Tom approached the table and sat down directly next to Star. "Morning everyone," he greeted them all.

"You're late to breakfast today," Abraxas said.

"Keen observation, Malfoy," Tom retorted.

"That rogue owl still giving you trouble?" Edison asked.

"It has not been, in fact, it hasn't pestered me for food all week. I'm afraid the reason for my tardiness today was for other reasons." Tom sipped a goblet of water.

Ostara had been avoiding him since their talk in the Owlery tower earlier in the week. She thought there was something between her and him, that they were making progress. But she quickly discovered that wasn't the case. Their relationship was built upon lust. Their chemically rich connection was fuelled by their sexual desire for one another. Tom was still Tom, and he was poking at ways to use her heritage to his own advantage.

"What reasons?" Avery asked.

"I was just consorting with Slughorn about my trip Hogsmeade today to fetch more supplies I need for our History of Magic assignment."

Everyone stared around in confusion before Isidore broke the silence. "Riddle, we don't need any supplies, it's an essay."

"Yes, but he doesn't know that, does he? A cover for us to gather supplies for Ostara's party tomorrow night." He smirked.

Ostara groaned and banged her head on the table.

No no no.

"Party? What party?" Avery asked.

"Don't do it, Riddle," she pleased.

"Why her birthday of course!" Tom smiled. "It's her eighteenth, we must celebrate."

"It's your birthday tomorrow, Star?" Abraxas asked. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I've been trying to forget about it! How did you even know Riddle?" She narrowed her eyes.

"I'm topping advanced Astronomy, Ostara. I have everyone's birth constellations memorised. You're an Aquarius, I don't forget." He beamed, looking a little too proud of himself.

"I don't want to do anything for my birthday guys."

"You must. We'll take care of it all," Tom said.

"Slytherin's throw the best parties, and it's been a while since we've shown the other houses how it's done." Isidore pointed at her with his fork.

"I shall need to take a few of you to accompany me into the village." Tom looked around at his peers.

"I'll go," Abraxas said.

"I suppose I can come along too," Isidore offered.

"Perfect. Meet me at the gates at noon." Tom finished his water off, then left the table swiftly.

Ostara looked grimly at her plate when an owl flew over head. It landed next to her carrying a bottle of homemade Dew Drop juice. It had a note attached to it but no name.