3. Sleigh Bells Ring

🚂🎅❤

🚂🎅❤

Santa's Village at the mall. Never thought I'd ever be so excited to be in a place like this.

Honestly, there have been times in my life when I never thought I'd even find myself in a place like this, period. Not under these festive circumstances anyway. Never had a reason before and, apart from the occasional visit with my nieces, wasn't sure I'd ever have a reason in the future.

But I sure do now. Not only am I here with one of those nieces in question, I'm here with a piece of my future. A pretty little thing wearing a Santa hat, an ugly Christmas sweater she decorated all by herself, and a smile that looks just like her mother's.

How is this actually my life?

"Remember when you hated Christmas?" Sadie's amused voice floats in from beside me as we stand along the outside railing of a very fancy looking North Pole Express, eyes glued to Mia and June sitting in one of the train cars.

I don't know what my face is doing but I'm sure it's the thing giving Sadie something to talk about, so I clear my throat real quick and try my best to wipe off the stupid grin. I don't want to give her more ammo, especially ammo she could carry back to the house and pass around to Harper and Evie. But the truth is, the smile won't stop. Mia's smiling and that makes me smile. It's kind of my thing now.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it, I'm a reformed Grinch," I mumble, bumping my shoulder against Sadie's. "You can stop teasing me about it. You all can. Just enjoy it and stop taking pictures of my tree like it's some kind of mythical piece of art."

"It is a mythical piece of art," Sadie laughs. "Ever since you leaned into the Christmas joy, your tree just seems to get prettier and prettier each year. And I have to say, I'm thrilled to be experiencing it with my own eyes this time. Escaping Oakwood and being near the Pacific Ocean during the winter isn't half bad either."

"Agreed," I smirk. "Maybe you all should move out here. You know that's the reason I coerced you all into coming here, right? So that you could see how amazing California is and come join me."

"I thought you wanted us to meet Amber's family."

"I did," I answer, my eyes following the train where June-bug and Mia are laughing about something. It makes my heart feel all warm and achy as I look back at my sister. "And you have met them. So now part two begins. Where I want you to see how amazing California is so you'll come join me."

She shakes her head with another laugh. "Don't tempt us. You've already got Austin sold. And Evie says the ocean is doing wonders for her skin."

"Of course it is," I begin, but the rest of my thought is cut off by the sound of the train coming to an obnoxious stop with a loud whistle.

June and Mia frown and reach for their buckles, both giving off a resounding, "Awwwww."

The operator of the train laughs. "There's no one else in line, if you'd like to ride again."