6. Happy Father's Day, Tommy

This is the coolest weird day I've ever had

This is the coolest weird day I've ever had. The June sun is shining down on us and there's a light breeze, filling the air with the irresistible scent of the ocean, like most every other day spent on the beach.

But today is... well, different.

Having never celebrated Father's Day with my own father, this is literally the first time I've actually put any stock into the idea of this holiday, and Mia went all out.

With every passing day, she and I create a clear, irreplaceable bond toward what the world would properly deem the relationship between a father and a daughter. But even despite that connection we've been building, despite how much she and Amber already feel like family to me, I didn't see this coming.

I didn't know Mia was going to put this day together. For me.

It started with breakfast. With Amber's help, she made my favorites. Sausage and egg sandwich on a fresh buttery biscuit, a steaming hot cup of coffee, and cheesy hashbrowns.

She watched me clear my plate, eager and excited, like she couldn't contain her happiness as her plan unfolded. She was thrilled to have been the one who made me breakfast the way her mom usually does, proud of herself for making everything look just right. She sat across from me, jumping out of her skin, looking equal parts thrilled and nervous, but she had nothing to be nervous about.

Everything was amazing.

Now we're at the beach. We just finished a family bike ride along the boardwalk and we're settling into a private spot in the sand. Mia and Amber are unloading a picnic basket full of goodies, Stella's frolicking by the water, and I've been instructed to sit back and relax. That feels foreign to me, my body twitches for activity, but I'm letting myself enjoy the moment.

Mia's blonde hair blows in the breeze as she reaches into the basket and pulls out a container of fresh fruit, looking all lost in her thoughts. Hands busy, eyes darting over everything she's laid out, and organizing it on the blanket some more. I can't help wondering if she's nervous again. And if she is, what the heck has got her so out of sorts?

It's not easy to make this kid nervous. Or stray her from her norm in any other way, for that matter. She's a solid one, walking around in a bubble of sweetness, holding a touch of sass, more than a handful of confidence, and just the right amount of calm.

I think I've only seen her lose her cool once, as an injustice played out on the baseball field and she needed to make sure the guilty party was aware of the wrongdoing. Other than that, she's always so chill and it takes a lot to ruffle her feathers.

When it comes to the nerves, she's a lot like me. Always sure of herself, ready to take on anything, and I think she's seen that similarity in the two of us. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back here, but I think it's helped her grow in her own confidence over the last couple years and, I won't lie, that fills me with pride.