Chapter 58

It's easy for someone to lose themselves, but it's harder for them to find themselves again. Mavis's life was anything but ordinary, but that made her who she was. Someone who was kind but easy to manipulate. Someone who was caring but easy to hurt. Someone who was trusting but easy to take advantage of. Every positive trait also had a negative side. That was just how life was.

Mavis knew forgiving Paul was the right choice, but it would not be easy. She feared losing herself in the relationship again and vowed to start slow. They needed ground rules and good ones. "My family is really important to me," she said as they sat on the couch together. They were at Paul's home now. It felt weird to have such an intimate discussion at Jacob's house. "And I need you to make more of an effort this time." 

Mavis's relationship with her family could be considered abnormal. As someone who was essentially adopted, it was easy to feel abandoned by simple things. In a way, Mavis needed constant validation from them. She was entirely dependant on everything they did, and sometimes it wasn't willingly. They often left her out of important discussions or unknowingly looked down on her because she was human.

"I can do that," Paul promised her.

"Probably best to start with an apology," Mavis offered him a gentle smile. "Preferably to Bella and Emmett." He nodded, a sign that he was paying attention to every word she spoke. "And we need to focus on ourselves just as much as we focus on each other."

"Okay." He agreed with all of her new boundaries, as she knew he would. Paul respected her choices and would never push her into something she didn't feel comfortable with. 

"I'm making all of the rules. Do you have any?"

"They're not rules," he squeezed her hand. "They're boundaries, and they're to make you feel more comfortable."

She grinned at his words. Paul always made her feel comfortable. It was a feeling she had missed. "Do you have any?"

He thought for a moment. In his mind, Mavis was perfect. He was the only one who ever messed up. "Yes," he did. "You can't disappear like you do when you're having a prediction or a moment." He wasn't sure what to call it. "It scares me. I don't like not knowing where you are."

The smile on her face fell. Mavis had never realized that Paul was worried about her. She only ever thought about herself. "I'm sorry. I didn't know it worried you." Past insecurities began to creep up on her.

"It's okay," he could sense the change inside her. "I can always find you, but I want you to come to me instead."

"I can do that. Anything else?" Paul stared at her, an unreadable expression in his eyes. Mavis couldn't tell what he was thinking. "What is it?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. "That's it."

"Are you sure?" Paul gave her a faint nod. "Okay, we can add more if we need to as we go along."

"So, that's it? We're back together?"

Mavis chuckled, "I think we established that earlier, but yes, I guess we are."

"Good," Paul said happily.

"Good," she repeated. "I think-" Mavis was cut off by her phone ringing. She cursed to herself and pulled out the device. "Crap, I have to go." Paul tried to hide his disappointment. "Carlisle wants me to be there when the new vampires arrive. Helps them get used to my scent, I guess."

"I'll go with you." Paul wanted to accompany her for three reasons. One, he didn't want to be away from her. He had only just gotten her back. Two, her house was full of vampires, the type that killed humans. Three, he promised to be around her family more. This would be the perfect start.