1

Their mother always used to say that Porsche was putting a gold leaf on the back of the Buddha image* and people would use it one way or another. He was raised to help others if he could, because his kindness would be repayed one way or another. Then, him and Porsché were orphaned and he needed to learn the hard way that there was no such thing as repayment for kindness.

It was a battle at the beginning. Porsche was good at planning and he was a strategist; his every move, job, word he said were planned. He knew how it would end if he back-talked to someone who he shouldn’t; they were living close to two major criminal families in town. Every now and then he would see someone beaten in the back alley.

This evening was the same, he took the trash out and lit his cigarette, when suddenly the victim stood before him. Dark eyes were piercing him. He saw that look on people's faces. Look of someone in need. When he finally asked, Porsche thought about what his mother used to say about him. Maybe it was time to not wait for being repayed for kindness but ask for repayment? And so, Porsche could say the only thing that came to his mind at that moment.

Money.

“Fifty grand.”

Owner of the dark eyes breathed out and chuckled.

“Done.”

Warning bells inside Porsche’s mind were loud but he ignored them, as he dragged the man behind himself with a smirk. His eyes landed on the other people present. Four, but older and clearly not often used for manual job.

“Consider it done.”

And with this words, he could feel his fate sealed. It wasn't a pleasant feeling.

Kinn, as the man introduced himself as, was the worst that could happen to Porsche. He was suddenly everywhere. Either the man liked his watch that much or he decided to start a vendetta against Porsche.

“Porsche.” Tem was breathless when he finally found him in the cafeteria.

Porsche looked at him and when he didn’t say a word, he returned to his food, not bothering to pay attention to the fact that his friend’s eyes were wide and filled with fear. Tem banged his hands against the table and Porsche flinched, his eyes jumping between Tem’s face and hands.

“Someone is looking for you.”

“Who?”

“Some guys. Jom. Restroom.” He said and ran out, leaving Porsche with no other choice than to follow him out. Most of the students had classes at the time, Jom was supposed to be in class as well. Curious, Porsche closed the door to men’s restroom and joined Tem before one of the stalls.

Inside was his friend. His beaten and covered in blood friend. Porsche swallowed, feeling his throat drying. His heart was pounding loudly as his eyes searched Jom’s face. There was a cut near his hairline, another close to his lips. Porsche could see beginning of a black eye and hissed under his breath. It’ll hurt.

“Shit!”

Tem leaned forward.

“Jom, who has done this to you?” He asked with worry in his voice. Porsche looked at him and then at Jom.

“His followers called him...Boss… Kinn… Boss Kinn. Something like that?”

Coldness spread across Porsche’s body. That guy, Kinn… the same one who Porsche saved? He was fucked then.

“Fucking hell.”

As soon as his classes ended, he sped home. His thoughts were against him, he thought about what would happen when that Kinn guy will finally find him. His uncle was out, so Porsche didn’t need to worry about giving him more money. He already gave a bigger part of the money to the people his uncle owed. The rest was used to pay for his and Porsché’s tuition.

He changed from his university uniform and left a note for his brother that he had a shift in the pub that night.

But apparently Boss Kinn got there too. With his people.

Porsche walked around broken glass and furniture, looking around at the disaster that was once his work place. He finally saw Yok, who immediatley fired him on spot.

He got out, landing in the same alley he met Kinn. Swearing, he looked around and chuckled darkly.

“That freaking idiot has chased me all the way here.”

He was about to go and try to catch Tem, when a tought hit him. Porsché. If he knew who he really was and where he worked, he probably knew something about him. Taking out his phone, he quickly dialed his brother.

“Come on. Come on. Porsché. Turn off the lights and don’t leave your room! I mean it! I’ll be there soon.” He hung up and ran.

Their neighbourhood was as usual, so he thought that maybe he still had a chance and they didn’t knew yet where to find him. Door hit the wall, as he opened them too harshly and not even looking at his uncle, he ran upstairs, calling his brother.

“Porsché! Porsché! Porsché!” He looked around the room; it looked like no one was here for some time. He looked outside the window to the roof next to it. No one was there either.

His little brother jumped out of the closet, when he walked by it.

“Do we really need to overreact like that?”

Porsche hit his head. A habit he developed when his little brother did something without thinking or said something stupid. Porsché groaned and massaged his head, his eyes narrowed a little.

“I am the one who should ask that. What was that?” He pointed at the closet and raised one eyebrow in question.

“You asked me to hide. I did.” Porsché said, like he was explaining to a child. Porsche looked at him and shook his head. They really needed to leave.

He grabbed Porsché by his arm and dragged to the door. Just as it open and their uncle stumbled inside the room.

Porsche looked at him in surprise. He usually stayed away, only talking when he needed something or did something wrong. He swallowed when his uncle met his gaze.

“Porsche. You need to help me. Now.”

Movement in the hall caught his attention.

Dressed in a suit, not bloodied shirt and smirk on his face. Boss Kinn, as Jom called him, walked into the room with confidence. His dark eyes rested on Porsche, who felt like it was probably the last moment of his life. There was a pause, no one talked or moved. Then, a light yellow folder was raised for all men to see.

Porsche had a bad feeling about this. Especially, when men dressed in black suits appeared behind Boss Kinn. They didn’t look like they would like to talk. One was even holding a hand on a gun on his hip.

“This house… is now mine.”

Porsché gripped his arm tighter and Porsche winced. They were fucked.

“What do you want?”

Dark eyes seemed to hold something new in them, when he asked the question. A new smile appeared on Boss Kinn’s face. A smile of a cat who got the canary.

“You as my bodyguard.”

Porsche should have learned years ago, that helping others always had consequences. Paid help or Samaritanian one.

And there was always a hidden agenda, especially when it came to the underground families.

* - Meaning: Doing something good without seeking for attention