Chapter 5

Tommy had fallen asleep on the floor.

It was a nice dream, he thought but he couldn't remember it too well.

However, he was awoken by a sudden knock. And then he realized he was supposed to see Phil.

"Hold on!" he called as he hopped up and opened the door. Phil stood, looking a bit upset.

"Wilbur said you'd be in here, are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah just... getting adjusted."

"Huh... would you like to join us for dinner?"

Without a second thought, Tommy replied, "No."

"Why not?"

"Not hungry. I have my own food."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm not a beggar and I'm not taking food from you."

"Will you see me in my office once you're done?"

"Maybe."

Phil walked away, closing the door behind him. Once Tommy had made sure he was gone, he slumped onto the bed, limbs weak from activity. As much as he wanted to eat a good meal, he A.] didn't want their pity food and B.] just wanted to rest.

He made sure to erase his mark and stretch his wings a bit since they were just as tired. Once he felt the weight release, he took a granola bar out and took small nibbles of it along with some of the chocolate he stashed in his pocket. It was the least he could do to feed himself.

To make himself feel more at home, he found a side door in the closet that led to a lush bathroom and began to form a little nest there, bringing any trinket and piece of lint he had. To make things better, he set up his tent and shoved his things inside.

Once he felt a bit better, he redid his mark and wandered to where he remembered his flock's office is. It was such a pain to be back after all of these years.

He knocked once then walked in.

It was a bit surprising not to see Phil sitting at his flock's old desk considering he had stolen it from her. Her old trinkets were set in cases that were scattered across the office with books neatly placed on every shelf and nook from the floor to the ceiling.

Most of the things in the office hadn't been touched so he decided to look for one of his favorite things to give this place just a bit of love. He looked for the rolling ladder and shoved it to his favorite section looking for a book she used to read to him.

He remembered that navy book with golden striped painted upon the from spelling out the title and small drawings on the spine. Soon it was all he could think about.

Eventually, he found it nestled on one of the higher shelves, just a bit too high for him the reach. He tried everything from the top step to tiptoes but nothing worked. As much as he didn't want to, he knew he had to fly.

His finger touched his tongue and then his wrist, scraping away at the pen's mark. He was so glad it was washable. The weight lifted and he hopped off the ladder, letting his wings carry him to the top of the shelf.

When he snatched the book. he made a chirp in victory only to be interrupted by a door opening. Out of fear, he dropped to the floor with a thud and began to try to scribble the mark back on. Luckily, he felt the weight return but heard Phil clear his throat.

"Are you alright?" he asked as Tommy noticed his questioning look.

"Of course... I'm the best."

"What was that?"

"Was what?"

"Tommy, show me your wrist."

"Listen, Phil. I don't self-harm, I promise."

"Tommy..."

Phil's voice was so threatening. Instead of begging for the man to just kill him already, he flashed another wrist, the one without the mark.

"Other one too."

"N-no..."

"Why not?"

"Because you'll kill me." Yes. That. As much as Tommy wanted to think Phil wouldn't hurt him, nothing was saying he wouldn't. He was a predator and Tommy was prey.

What scared Tommy more was the stories. One of them was about a man who had lied to him and was torn apart. He was a stag hybrid and how Phil had hung the man's antlers over a fireplace with his other treasures. And Tommy had just lied to him.

"No I won't, Tommy," Phil replied as he leaned down to meet Tommy's gaze. Tommy watched as the man let his long, black wings rest on the hardwood floor.

"You promise?" Tommy asked as he slunk away a bit.

"Tommy, I promise you I will not hurt you in any way, ever."

Tommy showed him the mark he made. An invisibility mark. One for avians to make them look like humans.

"Could you wipe it off for me?" he asked as he sat down. Tommy relaxed as he scrubbed it away.

He flexed his wings, showing off its muddied gold and reds. Since he hadn't let anyone preen them, not even himself, they were all messed up and dirty. Some shimmers still leaked through the dirt but it didn't stick out. After years of mistreatment, he was surprised there were still any feathers.

"How long had they gone without being preened?"

Without thinking, Tommy replied, "Too long."

"Would you like me to help?" he asked as he reached for them.

Tommy felt anxiety pool in his stomach as he held them away.

"N-no thanks. I can do it myself."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." The man backed away and stood up.

"Tommy, I'd like to have you in my nest, next week--"

"I'm not preening you and I hope you know that I will not have you come anywhere near me."

Phil sighed and replied, "I know, Tommy, just sit on it, please?"

"Fine." Phil tried to help the boy up but he only shoved the man's hand aside, too stubborn to even touch it.

"Tommy, if I may ask one more thing, why are you fighting this so much?"

"I--" Tommy took a step back for a minute. Why was he being so mean to them? They didn't deserve this and he should stop holding grudges. But on the other hand, they did chase him out and take over his country. "Well, I just am processing. Even big men like myself take time to think."

"Ok then... did you get anything to eat?"

"Yeah," the boy replied as he picked up the book and held it close. 

"Ok then... In the morning, I'll have Wil stop by your room and bring you for breakfa--"

"No thanks. I'm good."

"Tommy, please come eat with us. It isn't much to ask."

"Ok, so? You three 'ave always eaten together, it makes no difference whether I'm there or not."

"Do you want to talk about this? It seems like something on your mind and I really want to get to know you."

"And that's the issue because I don't."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

end quote O-O

I'm too tired for this

[word count: 1175]

-avarageknot