All I've Ever Wanted

Chapter 2: All I've Ever Wanted

Bucky's Friday night confession felt bittersweet, but I had decided to forgive him under the guise of better late than never. We said our goodbyes on my front porch. The words we exchanged were still heavy on my heart.

"I'm sorry all the dance halls were full tonight." I said referring to the fact we had unsuccessfully tried to go dancing. They had all been very busy with soldiers who had also received orders.

"That's alright." He said twirling me around clumsily. "How about you save me a dance for when the war is over."

I nodded holding his hand. "Alright."

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back." He reminded me as he took me into his arms.

"How can I?" I had asked playfully. "You are taking all the stupid with you."

He kissed me one last time.

It only set in on Saturday morning how alone I really was. With the exit of my best friend, I was completely alone. I tried to stay out of trouble, mostly staying home and reading a new book by Vera Caspary. I listened to the radio and spent the day in absolute loneliness.

Sunday wasn't much better. I went to church as I always did. It had been one of the things my mother had insisted upon. The sermon was all about our duty to fellow man, something I couldn't help but agree with.

He'd opened with a verse from Peter. "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms."

I knew what I was doing could be considered enough, but it didn't feel like enough. I wanted to be satisfied with my life, I really did, but I couldn't feel it. I didn't feel like I was really doing everything I could be. It did not help that being rejected by WAC still stung like an allergic reaction, swelling more overtime.

Monday rolled around as it unfortunately always does. I dreaded what would happen when I walked through those doors. I knew I would not be afforded ease after the events of Friday. I realized I may be fired for insulting my warehouse lead. I was also too proud to not show up. If they were going to fire me, I was going to take it standing up. I could find another welding job, everywhere was hiring qualified applicants to help with the war effort.

Work was surprisingly quiet and void of dramatics for the early part of my shift. Matthew was nowhere to be seen, neither was Kate. I was worried that my suspicions were confirmed and that something had happened to her husband.

I considered that Matthew's wife could have gone into labor and he was tending to her needs. I also considered that he could be nursing a hangover from a weekend bender. I truly began to think it was the latter. No matter the case, I knew the moment he arrived into the building, I was probably fired.

I got to work and continued like nothing had happened. Almost no one spoke to me, making me think that no one knew about the Friday debacle. I had climbed inside a new model aircraft that I was honestly excited to get a closer look at. I began to solder the roof together when I heard someone faintly saying the vowels of my name. I stopped my work and removed my face shield.

"Rogers." My foreman, Bobby had apparently been calling for me. "I need you to come with me, there's some business for you in the office. Just leave your equipment, I'll take care of it."

There was a significant jump in my heart from the severity of his face. There was no doubt about it, I was about to be fired.

I wiped off my face to the best of my ability and fixed the turban atop my head.