Leaving Humanity Behind

Chapter 6: Leaving Humanity Behind

An hour after I had snuck away I was on an airplane with Peggy being flown by Howard Stark over enemy territory.

"Your show is quite the spectacle." Peggy commented to me and I felt the blood flush into my face. I realized she'd seen it.

"Yeah, I'm not a fan, but people seem to like it." I admitted.

"I gotta tell you Rogers. The whole USO show wasn't my brainchild." Stark insisted yelling back to us after we left the ground. "I wanted to do some posters, maybe you working in the factory, something tasteful."

I was grateful to hear that. "If I live through what we are doing tonight I'll still do some posters for you Mr. Stark."

"Wonderful!" Stark admitted back.

"Howard is one of the best civilian pilots in the world. We are lucky to have him." Peggy complimented and looked towards the cockpit with a face of admiration. I wondered what it would be like to have a woman look at me like that, especially Peggy.

"Agent Carter you are too kind." Mr. Stark yelled back. "She's always trying to make me look swanky in front of my employees."

I laughed along.

"Since we are out maybe we can stop off for some late night Fondu." He mentioned to Agent Carter. What was fondu? Was it a French thing? I looked up to Peggy who was blushing now and I realized what fondu meant. I knew Peggy was a gorgeous woman, anyone with eyes would find her attractive. Not to mention, what woman wouldn't be seduced by a powerful man like Howard Stark? I just wasn't sure why they'd hint about something like that in front of me. I mean it wouldn't be my cup of tea, but they were welcome to do whatever they wanted in their personal lives.

"That would be lovely, but maybe not tonight, I don't think my stomach could handle it." She commented back before turning her attention back to me.

"So you two," I started still trying to find a nice way of saying it, "Fondu?"

She laughed heartily. "Yes, it's an old pastime of ours. You should join us sometime."

I coughed out of shock, were they asking me to join in? I wasn't sure I should. I was pretty sure that was frowned upon in common society. "Oh no thank you." I declined politely.

"We're close to the base now!" Stark called back.

Peggy handed me a communication device. "Use this to call for us and we will come get you and whoever else you rescue. Howard can you land safely?"

"Don't worry about landing Mr. Stark." I replied back. "Just get me to tree level. I've jumped off buildings higher than this."

"That's insane." Peggy insisted before Mr. Stark started lowering the plane.

"Yeah, it was Senator Brandt's idea to jump off high buildings to promote the show." I exclaimed before walking over to the door of the plane to jump out. "Now get out of here you two, go somewhere safe."

"You can't give us orders." Peggy answered back aggressively as the wind came whipping in.

"The Hell I can't!" I said before jumping out of the plane into the cold evening air.

I found that I liked jumping off of stuff. It kind of felt like flying, as long as you knew how to brace yourself properly. I learned to tuck and roll at the bottom, it kept you from hurting yourself.

As soon as I landed, I ran up to the Hydra base. I'd need to get in and get the soldiers out. I couldn't sound any alarms until I was inside though. Thankfully, I had the cover of night to keep me from being seen.