Chapter 29: Golden Again

The Ministry had outdone themselves this year.

Draco stood clad in his best wizarding robes, looking into the face of every witch that passed by, hoping he would notice a familiar pattern of freckles and rich chocolate eyes.

This year's Gala was held in the Atrium, with a manifold of fabrics and elegant, exotic florals draping the stone walls. The fountain in the center seemed to sparkle with life, a show of light bouncing off the dark polished floors. Musicians were perched in the mezzanine above, preparing to perform. Roaring green flames flashed as witches and wizards arrived through the Floo Network, all dressed in magnificently crafted dresses and robes.

He would find it all incredibly breathtaking if he weren't already having difficulty breathing.

A hand gripped his shoulder as another presented him with a glass of champagne. "She'll be here," Theo said, Blaise close behind him. Draco nodded and took the glass.

Their plan was simple: find Granger, and haul her as far away from that little redheaded fuck as they possibly could without drawing too much attention to themselves.

He scanned the room again, only to find a particularly infuriating blonde Hufflepuff sauntering towards him. Draco sighed.

"What do you want?" Draco mumbled in lieu of a proper greeting. The git's face was steaming red as he bared his teeth.

"Where have you been?" Ernie Macmillan snapped.

"Working," was all Draco deigned to reply.

"You took all the case files we are supposed—"

"No, I took all the files Granger and I are working on. I believe I've made it perfectly clear that you are not setting a finger on our work."

Ernie bristled. "If you don't let me do my job—"

"You'll what? Report me to Kingsley? Please, by all means, do so. I'd love to show him all the ways you plan to ruin the progress Granger has worked on for years."

Draco looked over Ernie's shoulders to the sea of arriving guests again, choosing to ignore him and his childish whinging. The Hufflepuff noticed Theo and Blaise, turning to the former as he said, "Evening, Nott. Surprised to see you here. Or better yet, surprised that St. Mungo's let you out after your latest...episode."

"Watch your fucking mouth," Blaise seethed, fists clenched at his side, looking ready to rip Ernie's head off.

Theo placed a settling hand on Blaise's, facing the prat with a smug smile. "I'm much better now, Errol. Thanks for the concern."

"It's Ernie."

"Yes, well, can't say that I care. Enjoy your night." Theo slapped a hand on Draco's shoulder, tugging Blaise behind him by his hand, leading them to the refreshments.

"One day, I'm going to enjoy bashing that arse's teeth in," Draco said, selecting another glass of champagne. The two Slytherins hummed their agreement.

Time stopped as Draco's gaze drifted across the room.

He saw her as she stepped through the emerald flames, a delicate hand interlaced with Weasley's. He forced down the shattering feeling that threatened to bring him to his knees at the sight of them together.

Draco caught a glimpse of her freckled skin first, lighter than it had been the last time he saw her. Her striking curls were pulled back and flowed down her back.

But her dress was... incandescent. An exquisitely shaped, golden flecked gown hugged Granger's body elegantly, long sleeves flowing freely, then cuffing at her wrists. The back plunged into a deep "v" shape, exposing the back he spent an entire morning committing to memory. She smiled widely at each witch and wizard who cornered the pair, and it took every ounce of willpower Draco had not to run through the crowd to her.