0.07

Now my mess is yours

— ⚓︎ —

The one thing certain these days, is that the members of the Ton were definitely not made for the sea. Whereas Michelle had difficulty walking in the London streets that were filled with unnecessary curbs and loose tiles, Daphne was just not getting used to the sway of the ship.

The heels of the boots Michelle gave her clacked in an off-beat rhythm against the pitch black floorboards of The Pearl. The magnificent ship was parting through the blue waves smoothly, but not smooth enough for the Bridgertons.

"I finally understand why you and your brother walk across the ship with that odd strut!" She sighed while inelegantly taking a seat on a barrel.

"Excuse you? Your walk is rather bizarre, Bridgerton." Michelle fired back, re-enacting an exaggerated version of how Daphne strolled about the ship.

They had been at sea for two days now, and slowly but surely were circling back to the Capital of England. With each hour that passed, the female Bridgerton seemed to warm up to Michelle, whereas her older sibling became rather bad-tempered.

Michelle had barely seen him or the Duke on deck, and the clothes Jack had given them hadn't seen a lot of daylight now they were borrowed by the members of the Ton. Michelle sort of missed his presence, but that was honestly just because he was so easily bothered by anything she'd say, and she found him struggling with her witty remarks rather amusing.

"I do not walk like that at all, you should see me stroll through the park!" Daphne laughed while patting Michelle's arm repeatedly.

The large sleeve of Michelle's white blouse dented, so Daphne puffed it up again before Michelle could do so herself.

"I would love to, but I think if I ever walked down that park of yours I'd be arrested and hanged!" Michelle laughed even harder. The corners of her eyes started watering at her own joke. She took of her black tricorne hat and waved it in front of her face, as if the cold autumn breeze didn't work hard enough to cool her down.

At this, Daphne quieted down immediately and gave Michelle a look of pity. "I am really sorry. I should not have said that."

"What? No don't worry dearie, I'm used to it. Pirate's life aye?"

The black haired girl quit leaning against the ashy railings and patted the remains off of her black skirt. The only pop of actual color allowed in today's outfit was the bright red corset she wore on top of her blouse, something Daphne still didn't quite like.

"Where is that brother of yours, darling?" Michelle broke the short-lived silence between them with a clap of her hands. "I'd love to see him strut about in Jack's clothes."

"I dare say Michelle, I don't think he likes it here very much. Your... friends... are not really the people he's used to."

"You're implying that I am?" The First Mate grinned widely, knowing that Anthony despised her, but Daphne would never put it into words like that. The girl was always so polite, she should speak her mind more often, Michelle thought.

On cue, the Duke and his friend appeared to grant the sun and its magnificently blue sky with their scowls once again.

"You know Daphne," Michelle started speaking so loud she was sure they were unable to ignore her voice. "I was told, that when the clock strikes twelve, frowns will freeze upon one's face."