0.11

Sinners play as saints

— ⚓︎ —

      Michelle's knuckles hit the wood repeatedly and in an even pattern, thrice she knocked on the door of the Bridgerton estate. She immediately stepped back and straightened the unfamiliar lilac dress she was in. Whereas her chestnut hair was normally loose, wavy and scattered with little braids and the occasional bead and feather, it now sat in a single, neat braid across her shoulder. The black charcoal she used as eyeshadow usually was now nowhere to be seen, and Michelle thought it made her eyes appear smaller and less vibrant. She felt rather exposed without her usual attire. Nonetheless she stood in front of the beautiful house with its purple flowers everywhere.

      She couldn't help but grow nervous as she heard footsteps near the door, and she put on her sweetest smile as she watched a servant appear in the doorway. Somewhere she'd had in mind that Anthony would open up, but of course he wouldn't. A viscount doesn't open his own doors. Even the servant was dressed in expensive attire, she could see. With little to no expression on his face he waited for Michelle to state her business, and she did right after regaining her composure.

      "Good morning, sir. I was informed the Bridgerton family resides here?"

      The servant nodded, and let her enter the house. Michelle would rather call it a palace, as big as it was. Her childhood home could fit in this foyer. She looked around, softly spinning to take in everything. the magnificent chandeliers lit up the room beautifully, the powder blue and white furniture perfectly accented by golden details, making the home feel warm. Massive stairs in front of her led to the passage upstairs with at least a dozen other rooms, Michelle was sure. The arches were all dressed in thick blue curtains contrasting against marble pillars.

      She hadn't noticed Violet Bridgerton enter the room, not until she stood right in front of her.

      Michelle felt like she should bow, so she did, just slightly. "Good afternoon, Viscountess Bridgerton. My name is Michelle, the agency got your letter, and sent for me to act as a teacher to your children. It is an honour."

      Violet stayed silent only a moment longer, waiting for Michelle to straighten up again and look her in the eyes. once she did, her aura softened. "That is absolutely wonderful, and a week early at that! Tell your agency my gratitude will express."

      Violet motioned for Michelle's bag to be carried by her servant, and led the girl herself into the sitting room. "As you have probably read in my letter, you know you will be watching my two youngest children. Gregory, thirteen years of age, and dear Hyacinth of eleven years. It really is more of a governess position, as you will be watching them after breakfast till dinner time once the season starts in two weeks."

      Michelle raised her eyebrow in confusion, not planning to be here that long at all, and quickly realised her mistake. She had not expected this to be the position which she overheard.

      Yesterday, after getting herself a room in a nearby Inn she heard a young woman mention Anthony's name, and her attention had shifted immediately to the conversation not meant for her ears. The woman was speaking of a job at the Bridgerton house, and at that it didn't take Michelle another moment to have her plan. She would simply get rid of the woman and take over her identity and position. And so she did.

      They had taken place on one of the couches, and not to Michelle's surprise it was the same light blue color she saw everywhere in the extravagant foyer. She had folded her white-gloves hands in front of her, looking around as the viscountess kept quietly looking at her.