All That Remains

Trigger Warnings: 

sexual assault, sexual scenes, drugs, alcohol, suicidal thoughts

About:

September 6th, 2013. 7.53 billion people experienced that day differently. For India Traynor, that day becomes the worst day of her life.

*******

This is the day that Caleb Anderson rapes her at a high school party. Handsome, charming Caleb, the most popular baseball player at Liberty High School, violates her in the worst possible way. Now, everything that once made sense, suddenly doesn't. Everything she once cared about, doesn't seem too important anymore. As India struggles through high school, she spirals down a dangerous path in a desperate effort to forget the horrors of that night and the secret buried deep inside her.

Broken up into four parts--freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year--this novel tells the raw story of dealing with trauma and a young woman's strength as she navigates love, heartbreak, and the confusing time of being a teenager.

By worldfrommywindow

Opinion:

This book was beautiful, heartbreaking, poignant and eye-opening. I'm not even sure I can put into words  how many times my heart hurt for Indy, how painful it was to see her spiral and how moving it was to still see her strength shine through as she fought against the world and her own thoughts everyday. I think it does an incredible job in showing the brutal reality of our world where not everyone gets the justice they deserve and victims are often left to suffer alone. I truly don't understand how people as cruel as Caleb exist. How can someone be so unsympathetic and remorseless?

I love how this story has been told over a period of time, starting from freshman all the way through senior year. I feel like it really allows us to know Indy and understand where she's coming from, even when she's at her worst. It was incredible seeing her grow from a scared, lonely and traumatized 14 year old to a still scarred but more hopeful 18 year old who was slowly starting to move on. I absolutely fell in love with Finn too and how he was always there to support her in her darkest moments; people like him really are rare. I also loved reading how her relationships with her parents and friends developed and changed with time.

It's really admirable to see how the author hasn't spared us from the worst details, especially considering it's based on her personal experiences. It's far from an easy book to read, I had to skim through certain sections simply because it was too painful. But I also think it's a very important book to read and beautifully written too. Would highly recommend everyone to read, considering they're in the right frame of mind to do so.