«|| 18: Infiltration

"You have got to be kidding me..."

    The three of you, Shinra, Arthur, and yourself, sink to the floor in desperation, the look of anguish hard to miss on all of your faces. You'd hardly been here for a couple of months and you're already getting fired? If this was all a joke, it was severely unfunny! Captain Obi would really have to work on his joke delivery.

    What would Hibana say if she were here? She'd be more than disappointed, and if there was one more thing you didn't need today, it'd be Hibana's wrath.

    Well fortunately, or unfortunately for you, Hibana is here and now at this point, you're just waiting for her to blow her top. You can practically hear her reprimands now. Nag, nag, nag! That's all you'll hear!

    Shinra puts his weight onto the desk before him. His was head angled downwards, so you couldn't see the expression he wore, but you could guess what it looked like.

    "No way... I just got into the Firemen Corps... my path to become a hero is already over!"

    Arthur leans on the wall behind you and eases into a wall sit while pinching the bridge of his nose. You've never seen him so upset before... well, you've never seen any other expression but a dopey one on him. "The path to becoming the King of Knights is crumbling..."

    Upset, Maki and Iris bolt over to the Captain and begin to plead.

    "Isn't firing them too much?" Maki asks. "Even if they're idiots..." Thankfully you didn't catch the last part.

    Iris nods vigorously at Maki's statement. "Have compassion!" She pauses. "Even if it's those three..." Again, by some stroke of luck, the last statement flew over your heads."

    Wait a minute!" Captain Obi interjects while waving his hands in defense. "Don't jump to hasty conclusions!"

    "And you stop saying those horrible things about them." Hibana says sternly. Maki and Iris look down guiltily, but the three of you on the floor couldn't tell why. "Using the training system for admission by infiltrating as 1st Brigade rookies... I get it, that could work too. Even as a gorilla, you got a nice plan, Obi."

    You, Arthur, and Shinra could only deadpan. What the hell were they talking about!? We're getting fired for all we know! But then it clicks and you immediately brighten.

    "We infiltrate the 1st Brigade...? Us?"

    Captain Obi nods. He goes to his desk and pulls out a dark tome and looks up at you all, signaling you three to come further."

    The training system for rookie admission and the trainee system of the Firemen Corps. It's for members who are in the first year of enlistment. They're able to enlist in other brigades for a short period of time depending on their information that other brigade."

    Finally, Captain Obi looks up. "I want you to do the 1st Brigade's Admittance Exam."

    "Arthur, [Name], and I in the 1st Brigade!?" Shinra sputters, but it comes off more as a question than a statement.

    "It's possible that there are synthetically manufactured Flame People in the 1st Brigade's jurisdiction..." The Captain puts his book down and puts all of his focus on the three before him. "I want you to get me some clues by doing this! It's an important mission to figure out the explanation of spontaneous combustion! I'm counting on you three!"

    "Well, if you put it that way..." you start. "I guess we could help... as long as we don't get fired! I just got here!" Captain Obi quickly assures that he was never to fire you guys anyway; he'd grown attached to you all at this point. You let a grateful smile grow and Shinra pipes up again.