Come To Stay-03

Chapter Three

A contented feeling moved through Aubrey as she sat up in bed and stretched. Linking her fingers high above her head, she arched her back and released a long, drawn-out yawn.

She couldn't remember an evening she'd enjoyed more than the one spent with Reeve. He had chuckled when she relayed the movie plot and the antics of the characters. It was the first time Aubrey had heard the sound of his laughter. The feeling it had produced was warm and pleasant. She had seen him grit his teeth and muffle groans as she manipulated his legs, but never his amusement. How much more she preferred dark eyes that crinkled with laugh lines to ones that struggled to disguise pain.

She dressed in jeans and a loose-fitting T-shirt. Some of the fish fillets had been left over, and she wanted to see if Long John would eat out of her hand. Great strides seemed to have been made with Reeve, and she was eager to see if the injured gull was willing to accept her as his friend.

"Good morning, L.J.," she greeted as she let herself into the yard. The gate latched behind her as she stepped to the food bowl and bent down, extending her hand. "See what I've got here? Fish," she answered her own question in reassuring tones. "And I happen to know gulls are particularly fond of fish. I'm not so sure about fried fish, but I think you ought to give it a try."

With an ambling gait that reminded her of Bliss Girths, the bird took a step in her direction. "Obviously you've got keen eyesight," Aubrey encouraged her feathered friend.
When the bird was only a few inches away, she edged closer, wanting him to take the fish from her. Almost immediately Aubrey realized her mistake. The razor-sharp beak sliced into the back of her hand instead of the food. Blood gushed from the open cut. Inhaling a sharp breath, Aubrey dropped the fish and jerked upright. In a protective movement she held her hand to her body and hurried out through the gate. Blood seemed to be everywhere. The gull had apparently cut a vein. The pain was sharp as she quickly stepped back into the house. Bliss wasn't in the kitchen. Aubrey was grateful she didn't have to make unnecessary explanations. From the flow of blood, it looked as if she might need a suture or two.

Intent on escaping unseen into her bedroom, Aubrey nearly stumbled over Reeve, who was wheeling down the wide hallway.

"Aubrey, why the rush?"

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, pressing her hand to her shirt. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"You're hurt."

Reeve's pallor became sickly. He swallowed and narrowed his gaze on her hand. "I'm fine."

"You need a doctor."

"What I need is to see how deep this is."

Stepping into her room, she moved directly to the bathroom sink and held her cut hand under a slow faucet. In the background she could hear Reeve yelling for Bliss. Within moments the red-faced cook came rushing into the room.

"I got cut. It's no major catastrophe. Darn, it looks like it may need to be sewn up." Angry at herself for her own stupidity, Aubrey felt like stamping her foot. Didn't she know better than to rush something as delicate as trust? As an injured bird, she would have probably reacted the same way.

"I'll get Peter to drive you to urgent care." With agitated, worried movements, Bliss rushed out of the room.

The fuss everyone was making didn't lessen Aubrey's feelings of self-reproach. A small towel was wrapped around her fist and held protectively against her stomach. Aubrey grabbed her purse off the dresser, fumbled with the clasp, and took out her car keys.

Reeve was gone, but she could hear him speaking to someone on the phone. His voice was angry and urgent. Footsteps could be heard rushing up the stairs. "What happened?" Peter directed the question to Aubrey.