003, nye valum.

CHAPTER III

CHAPTER III

"SORRY, HUN," SAID Han Solo. His eyes roved momentarily down Callisto's body, and she couldn't decide whether they were green or grey. "I reckon you could even be pretty under all that grime, but I'm not really in the mood."

    Callisto was debating whether this was worth the trouble. She didn't know what to make of Han's comment, but she was pretty sure that striking a potential boss in the face would get her turned away faster than she could say, 'Millennium Falcon.'

    The whole job thing was more work than she had first thought. After she had successfully spied the Wookiee leaving the cantina, Callisto had had to race through the alien-packed streets after it. Luckily, the Wookiee had successfully led her back to the sarcastic (albeit somewhat capable) captain.

    "Are you Han Solo?"

    The captain's eyes flickered in mild astonishment before he ran a tired hand down his face. "Listen, are you one of those super fans?" He turned to the Wookiee. "See, Chewie, after that stunt we pulled at Cantonica, I can't even go out without being recognised!"

    Callisto opened her mouth to explain, but Han cut in again. "Can't blame you girls, though." He winked. "The boys either."

    "Actually," said Callisto, "I'm here for the job offer."

    Han opened his mouth and closed it again. The Wookiee (Chewie, was it?) made a strange noise that sounded like a cross between a roar and a laugh. Callisto was suddenly all too aware of the clamouring aliens milling around her, and how frustrating it would be if she had been completely wrong about this and ended up being stuck on Tatooine for Empire knew how long.

    "The apprentice position to the pilot of the Millennium Falcon?" she offered.

    With a sudden mixture of disappointment and surprise, Han stood up straight. "You're Nye Valum?"

    Callisto fiddled with the hem of her cloak. She felt no need to disclose that she had intercepted the original transmission and the real Nye Valum was probably light-years away right now, floundering at made-up coordinates in the depths of space.

    "Yes," she lied.

    "Huh, thought you wouldn't show up." Han crossed his arms. "I could've sworn the application said you were Devaronian."

    For a second, Callisto was sure he'd seen right through her charade. The captain's face seemed different then, a thinly veiled intelligence glittering in his eyes that suggested he was smarter than what he liked to let on. The look was gone before she could make more of it.

    "Well..." Callisto trailed off, and Chewie roared again, pulling at Han's arm as if to speed him up.

    "Yeah, yeah, go ahead, you oversized oaf," Han said. He turned back to Callisto with a cocky grin on his face. "Where were we?"