000, before.

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

TK-426 WATCHED FROM her place against the glass as Scarif erupted in a blinding fire.

    She blinked, and the spaceship jumped into hyperspace, swatches of cool-toned waves washing against the hull of the starship like a rising tide. Smoke was streaming from somewhere within the ship, and the sound of blasters being fired broke the stillness.

    She should've been joining the others in the corridors. She should've been tearing down rebels. But, beneath her helmet, TK-426 was almost sure she felt a wetness on her cheeks.

    There was a tugging in her chest. The strange feeling rocked her to her core, as if thousands of voices were crying, screaming, their agony searing her skin.

    Callisto, Callisto. Why? Why do you cry for the enemy?

    Like they had taught her in training, TK-426 blocked out the strange voice. It had been there, taunting her, for as long as she could remember. TK-426 knew she wasn't meant to have a name, but the strange voice still loved to call her Callisto.

    TK-426 also knew that if they saw her like this, a fate far worse than a blaster bolt would come her way. So she secured her helmet. She fastened her gauntlets. A squadron of other troopers ran past her and she seamlessly blended into the group. They were running towards something; as usual, she hadn't been given the details of the order yet.

    As they passed further into the ship, she fell into the steady rhythm of the soldiers, the practised unison of many singular units melding into one living, breathing force. She found her comfort in it, and before she knew it, she was once again merely a pawn in the grand scheme of the universe.

    If only it was that simple — but the universe had different plans entirely. The universe, as it turned out, was a bitch.