✩Ten Lilacs & Roses

✩Ten Lilacs & Roses

"It fits," Was the first thing Devlin had said when I arrived at his doorstep to pick him up. I twirled in my spot. The light pink garment fluttered in the air, before coming to rest near my thighs.

"I got it exchanged," I smiled up at him as we walked down the stairs to my car. Dad had finally chipped out some money and bought me a second hand Chevrolet. It was brown, just like chocolate. The seats were a dark brown which reminded me chocolate pecan tarts.

"Then why go into all that trouble?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

Devlin stopped walking. We were standing near the near the parking lot, beside the sidewalk. The sun was beginning to fall and the world was ready to be soaked in orange. His fingers crawled up my arms. They were hesitant. It was starting to rain, the gentle slush of snow left melting away.

The sound reminded of a symphony. I closed my eyes, my chest rising and falling. He cupped my neck. His breath fell over my lips. I was anticipating a kiss.

Instead, he spoke. "You don't have to hide any part of yourself from me. Trust me, Alice. I don't love you just for your body."

"I know that,"

He smiled, a soft smile. Every time he smiled, my pulse quickened. He pulled away. It was clear, he wanted to take things slow. I didn't mind either. Somehow it was a calming feeling, a reassuring kind. I felt safe with him because he would never pressurize me into things I wasn't ready for.

Mrs. Norris, the old lady who lives next door, emerged from her 1990 Ford Victoria. She was carrying around eight grocery bags in both arms. She stumble towards the stairs.

Devlin gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Wait for me, I'll be back in a second."

He stole all the bags from Mrs. Norris's arms and stowed them in his arms. Mrs. Norris was glaring at him. She didn't like being helped. Well, she did but she wouldn't show it. Mrs. Norris liked to believe she was a strong, independent woman who could take care of herself.

I could hear Mrs. Norris yell at him. "Boy, you didn't show up for dinner last night. Your wife promised she would come. I believe it's all your fault."

Devlin blushed crimson. I laughed silently. "She's not my wife." He muttered under his breath. "Good Lord, she's too young for that."

Mrs. Norris slapped the back of Devlin's head. "You keep quiet. If all goes well, you two shall get married right before my eyes."

I began laughing uncontrollably because I've never seen Devlin look so embarrassed.

✩ ✩ ✩

Hand in hand, fingers carefully entwined together. The soil was moist and the sky was grey. Devlin and I shared an umbrella. It was yellow, bright yellow and made up for the absence of the sun from the sky. I could feel his pulse rising. He looked pale, exceptionally pale.

"Why did you bring me here?" He whispered. His captivating brown eyes wide. "Alice? Why did you bring me here?"

I smiled. "I know it's a rather appalling place for a first date."

"This isn't a date. It can't be."

"For me, it's a date with your mother. I hope she trusts me enough to care of her son."

We were in Saint Augustine's cemetery. Tombstones of various sizes surrounded us. In a distance, there was a small canopy of lilacs where several guest were standing. There were chairs and flowers of every color. No one was dressed in black. I had made it mandatory. From all I knew about Mrs. Hutchins, she wouldn't want a sad death parade.

As we drew closer, I could make out the familiar faces. Sarah and Akihiro were huddled together. Bre, Yuv, and Brandon stood under the shed of flowers. All their faces were somber. The only person missing was Mr. Hutchins. Bre and Yuv had told me he had refused the invitation.

The arrival of Devlin had captured the attention of all the guests. Devlin held my hand in a death like grip. It was painful. His eyes had turned a violet red. The vein in his neck was visible. It was about time that he let go of his calm façade.

Sarah rushed to Devlin. She wore a long navy blue dress. The baby bump was barely visible on her belly. "I'm so sorry." She hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry that it had to end this way."

Devlin's hand left mine as he hugged Sarah back. . His face was contorted in a pained expression. His jaw was taunt and his eyes were tightly shut. I've never seen him express his emotions so freely in public

Bre and Yuv walked over to us.

Bre apologized to Devlin on behalf of Yuv, Brandon, and her father. Bre's father, Mr. Walters was standing in distance. With eyes glazed with tears, he held a banquet of roses.

When Bre had told me that Devlin had stolen a proper farewell from them, I had promised to give them just that. A new tombstone had been erected. Unlike the others in the cemetery, it had roses and lilacs engraved into the tombstone.

The following words were inscribed on it.

May the spirit of Mount Everest always guide her.

Every guest spoke of their moments with Mrs. Hutchins. The entire procession blurred in my mind. The flowers that were offered, the enormous effort everyone put in to keep the tears in. No-one cried. Not even once.

Devlin smiled sadly. He stood at the podium. Petals from the myrtle tree fell on his shoulders as he spoke.

"She has been and always will be an important part of my life."

✩ ✩ ✩

After the procession, I drove Devlin home. He seemed to be at peace. There was a content look on his face as he stared outside, at the sky, at the stars which shone brightly despite the clouds.

"I love you." He whispered. Momentarily, his eyes met mine. "More than I have ever loved."

I smiled. "Me too,"

  One day, when Mr. Hutchins would be out of the grief, he would understand Devlin and Mrs. Hutchins for everything they had done. He would forgive his son. The bitterness between them would fade over time because a father can never hate his son.    

And despite all resentment brewing around us, I always knew that Devlin and I would have each other's back. There would moments in the future where our love would be tested, put to the limit by the doubts in everyone's eyes.The world's darkness would be tinged with light of our stars.

 Under our blanket of stars ,  we were ready to face all the bitterness the world had to offer.

THE END