✩. Intro

B l a n k e t  o f  S t a r s

The boy who had taught me to smile again had forgotten to do so himself. After his return from Nepal, Devlin would sit in his room, staring at the world outside. The flicker of streetlights, the fall of the sun, and the rise of the moon and stars wouldn't cause the slightest change in his eyes.

Every other evening that I spent with him, the more distant he seemed. Dad told me to give him some time that most wounds heal over time. I know what time did- it acted like sandpaper smoothing the rough edges of your heart until there's no roughness left. But I didn't want that to happen to him, I did not want him to turn into a cold winter storm.

Devlin acted as a machine- he woke up, got dressed, and left for med school. He would come back home, call me and ask me if I had eaten and done my pending assignments. I would drop by his place, sometimes he would be finishing up the revisions for upcoming exams other times he would be vacantly staring out the window, his thoughts swimming above his head as the fog from his breath clouded the crystal glass.

I know he needed love. Watching your mother kill herself isn't something that can be forgotten. He needed the support of his family, of the father who had taught him to walk, of the sister who had always stood by his side but sadly they had turned their backs towards him, blaming him for his mother's death. Mr. Hutchins had nearly killed Devlin for not telling them about Mrs. Hutchin's death wish.

Even Bre, Yuv, and Brandon had abandoned Devlin.

You know what is more painful than being in pain? It is watching your love slowly die every second.