Kayne IX

The ride from the Green Fork back to King's Landing had taken longer with Tyrion and his mountain clansmen than it had when Kayne rode with his one hundred men after the Kingslayer. Those men were still following him now, with the other seven hundred provided by Lady Whent gone at his command. He would not take them from their lands in a time of war and so he sent them back to Harrenhal as they passed the Godseye on their way to the capital.

Tyrion had made for pleasant company, though he seemed to act as if there was no war. Every evening he would get Kayne, his sellsword Bronn, Ser Arys and the whore Shae to play a drinking game, and then when he grew bored of that he would take Shae to bed. Each day they marched and each night they drank, though Kayne's mind always raced.

He was returning to King's Landing to protect his cousins, though who could he go to for protection himself? With his father and uncle dead, and with Stannis and Renly gone from the city to claim the throne for their own, Kayne had no allies within the Red Keep. Joff was likely to execute him on the spot, unless Lord Tywin truly upheld his end of their bargain, though Kayne did not. His letter to Robb asked him to bend the knee to Stannis to get vengeance for Ned, but the tales they heard on the road was that he was now styling himself as the King in the North. Kayne's letter to Renly had been similar. According to Tywin's scouts, Kayne's uncle had rallied the Stormlords to him and then wed Margaery Tyrell to gain the Reach's forces as well. He could take King's Landing in a day with a force of that size.

Renly was one of his only friends, they were more like brothers in truth, and so he felt a sense of betrayal. Half a year ago his uncle had urged him to press his claim for the throne as they rode from Darry, now he had gathered a force in defiance of the true heir and styled himself as the King of Westeros. Kayne would soon have to make a definite choice. Robb, Renly or Stannis. His cousin, or his uncles. If he joined Robb he would be betraying the man who was like a father to him for years. If he joined Renly he would be supporting a usurper, though that is how Kayne's own father won the throne sixteen years ago. If he joined any of the three, what would become of Tommen and Myrcella? The whole realm would soon know of their true parentage, true siblings or no, they were Kayne's brother and sister and he would protect them.

He was brought out of his musings by his uncle pouring him yet another goblet of wine. They were sat in his pavilion a days ride away from King's Landing, the canvas's of the tent were all red and gold and decorated with lions. Their entire camp screamed Lannister, it made him uneasy.
"I do hope we are not boring you nephew." Tyrion spoke as he sat himself back down to the side of Shae, who sipped her wine rather elegantly for a whore of low birth.
"Of course not uncle. Who's turn is it? I have lost track." He did not care for Tyrion's games, though he'd play them all the same.

"Yours, I will make a statement about you and if I'm right you drink, if I'm wrong I drink." Tyrion explained the rules again, as he had each night.
"You know everything about me." Kayne challenged and stood up, swaying slightly from the drink.
"Very well then, no more games." Tyrion replied before he laid down amongst his pillows and pulled Shae atop him. Kayne and Bronn rolled their eyes and left the pavilion together, as the faked moans of the whore began.

At first light the following day they rode for King's Landing and they reached the city by midday. New banners were hung from the city walls, banners that displayed the crowned stag of house Baratheon and the golden lion of house Lannister together. They rode through the city in relative silence, Ser Arys rode at Kayne's right and Bronn on his left. Tyrion rode ahead of them all with his mountain clansmen trailing behind them. Kayne noticed Arys's hand resting upon the pommel of his sword, he clearly did not trust the savages or the sellsword.

As they got closer to the Red Keep they could hear cheers and cries of excitement, then Kayne remembered it was Joffrey's nameday. They unhorsed at the castle stables before walking into the courtyard where a small tourney was being held.