9

The man began to tremble like a trembling aspen tree* when he saw Ethan Ambrosia's face behind Jade.

*Trembling aspen: Its name originates from the lightweight shiny leaves that quake and tremble when moved by even the gentlest breeze.

    "Heuk, heuup! Huuumm!"

    The man, drenched in cold sweat, struggled and began to sob.

    "You've been doing well."

    Ethan got on the carriage with a noble smile.

    The bound man tried to get away from the Duke by any means but to no avail. It was because the ligaments in his torn ankle had been throbbing and aching.

    Seeing this, Ethan clicked his tongue in pity. A faint sympathy flashed across his face. Jade shook his head and got on the carriage. It was scarier because the sympathy was sincere.

    "Take it easy, My Lord. He has to stay alive until the Imperial meeting."

    "He survived through harsh torture. Isn't his life too pitiful to be killed like this? There is that much mercy."

    Jade looked at His Lord who spoke of mercy in a friendly tone and soon closed the carriage door as if he was tired of it.

    'I think he'll be half-dead by the time he arrives at the Imperial Palace'

    Jade thought.

    As soon as the carriage door was closed, the bound man looked at the Duke of Ambrosia with fear in his eyes. With a harmless smile and neatly tidying up his collar, he didn't seem to have much interest in man on the surface.

    'If I stay like this, as if I’m dead, I might be able to live.'

    When a small hope flashed through the man's head, Ethan Ambrosia's mouth opened.

    "Jim Wood. You pay back my trust quite painfully."

    "Ummm!"

    The man called Jim Wood shook his head violently and cried, but the gag in his mouth prevented him from speaking human language. He howled like a beast. 

    "Since you betrayed Ambrosia and became the First Prince's loyal dog, the First Prince might show mercy."

    "Huuu…..."

    "One thing though, since you have separated him and his brothers, for the sake of other two princes, he is going to kill you horribly so that he can set an example."

    "Eup! Ugh! Hurgh!"

    Jim crawled in front of Ethan Ambrosia with his tears dripping down his knees. Ethan scrunched his brows and dragged his shoes a little more inward due to the man’s clumsy attempt to kiss his feet. It was a blatant expression that it was unpleasant to touch dirty things. However, unlike such behavior, Ethan Ambrosia's voice was soft and even friendly.

    "I tried to cover up as much as I could, saying that there is no way for you, who have been with me for a long time in my mansion, but it has become unavoidable."

    "Heup!"

    Jim's eyes shook roughly at the voice full of sadness.

    How could he cover it up as much as possible? What did he mean he couldn't help it?

    It has been 10 years since he infiltrated the Ambrosia mansion as a spy of the First Prince. When Jim, who had found out the truth about Ambrosia house's curse, was about to send a letter to his lord, he suddenly lost consciousness. When he opened his eyes again, he found himself bound with blood on the cold stone floor.