Have You Met Lotad?

____________________

Chapter - 20
____________

Red walked through the dark Petalburg Woods, the sky turned one shade darker with every step he took. The woods were cold, from damp tall grass to crisp cool breeze, but nothing could stop Red for he was certain to catch his first Hoenn Pokémon.

His search for a Hoenn Pokémon began, the forest was a perfect place to look. He came across several Pokémon – from an innocent Caterpie to a mischievous Paras, but he couldn't find what he looked for - a Pokémon exclusive to the Hoenn region.

As the evening sky got darker by second, Red hoped he never came to the forest alone.

It'll be too dark by the time I get back to the city, but does it matters, it's already too late to pull out- might as well finish what I came here for.

Red was certain he would be able to catch a Hoenn Pokémon, with that thought, he continued walking deeper into the woods and the grass getting taller and taller, and the sky finally turning indigo. He was trying his best to be brave enough to walk in the woods like that.

A sound was heard and Red stopped immediately, he looked around, patiently waiting for the sound, he had to know where it came from. He closed his eyes for better hearing, and it came again.

It seems like the sound of someone quickly strafing to the side — Red concluded. He walked sneakily towards the sound, trying not to alarm the Pokémon that made the sound.

"Go Pikachu." Red tossed a Pokéball out as soon as he saw the wild Pokémon in the grass. Pikachu appeared from the Pokéball.

The wild Pokémon began to run away, it was still not visible, but the sound of the grass was clear. Pikachu sensed the wild Pokémon and ran after it, but the wild Pokémon was not trying to run away, it was just running around.

Red was a bit confused, but understood that the Pokémon wanted to play. "Pikachu, stop." He said, hoping the wild Pokémon would stop too.

The wild Pokémon stopped, a big leaf appeared on top of the grass, similar to a lilypad, but was slightly wilted. Then, a small blue Pokémon appeared from below the leaf, it had big eyes and a small yellow mouth that looked like a bill. The leaf was a part of the Pokémon, and rested on it's back.

The Pokémon just stood there with a big smile. Red pulled out his Pokédex and pointed it towards it. "Lotad, a Water Weed Pokémon. It searches about for clean water. If it does not drink water for too long, the leaf on its head wilts."

Pikachu charged himself, electricity could be seen on his cheeks around his red electricity pouches. "Stop!" Red stopped Pikachu from attacking. "Lotad isn't well, it's dehydrated."

Red quickly poured some water in his bottle cap and offered it to the Lotad. He placed the bottle cap in between him and the Lotad, Pikachu quickly climbed Red's shoulder and sat there. Red walked back a few steps, trying not to frighten the poor Lotad.

The Lotad walked forward, looking at the bottle cap filled with water, Lotad sniffed the water and began drinking. In a few moments, the cap was empty.

Red placed an empty Pokéball in front of Lotad and picked up the bottle cap. The Lotad stared at the Pokéball, it had a choice now, whether or not he wanted to join Red.

The Lotad looked at Pikachu. "Sorry, I'm very hesitant about all this. I've been here in the Petalburg Woods since the past year." Said Lotad, talking to Pikachu. Red only wished he could understand what he was saying.

"I understand, that's why you have a choice, placing the Pokéball like that means, you can either walk away or just touch it to join us." Pikachu explained. "Being able to be a part of this journey is a blessing, to be able to go places away from home, it's great, the fact that someday this journey will end and we'll all end up back home."

Lotad stared at the Pokéball again, he walked closer to it and touched it with his head. He closed his eyes as his body shone white and he went inside the Pokéball. The Pokéball shook for a few seconds and then stopped with a click sound.

Lotad was caught. Red smiled and began walking back to the city.

"Prepare for trouble!" Said a female voice from behind Red. He looked around but the forest was too dark for him to even able to spot someone.

"And make it double!" Said a male voice, the voices were familiar but they did not belong to Cassidy and Butch.

"Pikachu, Thunderbolt." Red snapped. Pikachu could clearly see the two Team Rocket grunts and instantly used Thunderbolt.

"James, this was a different kid." Shouted the woman at the man.

"How does it matter, if we're blasting off again?!" Asked the man. The voices stopped as if Pikachu's Thunderbolt had turned them into a missile and launched them into the air.

Red realised it was almost dinner time, he hurried back to the city as fast as humanly possible.

Rustboro City was beautiful during the night, the streets were packed with citizens, even the yellow street lights were fascinating, it was something one couldn't see in Kanto. The city was full of life, unlike most cities Red had previously visited.

He rushed to the Pokécenter and walked straight to Nurse Joy. "Good Evening, and welcome to the Pokémon Center, we help your injured or tired Pokémon. How may I help?"

"Hello, I'd like to get my Pokémon sone rest for tonight." Red removed every Pokéball from his belt and handed it to Nurse Joy.

Nurse Joy slowly placed every Pokéball on the trolley's tray. She was too careful, she then looked around in confusion. "Chansey?" She called.

A Chansey walked outside of the room next to the reception and took the trolley inside to heal the Pokémon.

"How am I doing so far?" Asked Joy. "This is my first time working as a nurse."

"You're doing great!" Red laughed. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, go ahead." Said Nurse Joy, curious.

"How come all the Nurses have the same name and are all look alikes? Can't others become a nurse?" Asked Red.

"Well, it's curious, all of the women in my family look alike, that's how we know our distant relatives, because we're all the same." Said Nurse Joy. "This is a mystery. It's said that my family swore to help Pokémon, so we just become Nurses and Doctors. But we can choose not to join this profession. And yes, others can become Nurses and Doctors but mostly you'll find my family members."

"So there's a Pokécenter that may not have a Nurse Joy as the nurse?" Red asked.

"Correct!" Said Nurse Joy, smiling. "But it's highly unlikely."

"Cool." Red smiled. "I gotta go now, nice to meet you."

"Goodnight!"