Chapter 5: Familiar Faces

Alana threw her hands up in a what-the-actual-hell motion, her jaw hanging open, awaiting an explanation. Even their manager, Amanda, stopped what she was doing to glance over at Tinsley, clearly curious.

Tinsley clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "Yeah, so...I forgot to mention that two days ago, I kinda ran into a pole while I was out on a run. And then, Scarlett Johansson happened to be the one who witnessed it and basically rescued me, taking me to her house where I ended up falling asleep on her couch."

Tinsley paused, allowing Alana's brain to process everything she had just said. She watched as Alana's reactions unfolded in what seemed like slow motion. Alana's eyes widened, her mouth forming a perfect 'O'. "WHO?! Scarlett Johansson??!! what.....OMG."

Out of the corner of her eye, Tinsley noticed Amanda pretending to be completely focused on putting the trash bags into the trash cans. She fought back a laugh at her manager trying her hardest to mind her own business. Tinsley knew all too well that her manager Amanda loved drama and gossip just as much as the next person.

Tinsley pressed on with her story, "Oh, and I was supposed to make sure I had someone at the apartment to stay with me the night it happened because Scarlett wanted me to have someone there just in case anything went south, but I forgot."

It wasn't like Tinsley forgot on purpose; it just slipped her mind. Alana hadn't been home when Scarlett had dropped her off at her apartment, and Tinsley assumed she'd be home later that night. However, she had woken up yesterday and remembered that Alana had mentioned a few days prior that she was going to be staying at her situationship's house.

Alana's eyes darted around wildly, as if half-expecting a hidden camera and a bunch of people that were going to jump out and yell, "You Just Got Pranked!!"

"I- I-.....How are you not in shock right now??" Alana asked, bewildered. Alana knew very well that Tinsley's celebrity crush was Scarlett Johansson because Tinsley used to never shut up about her.

Tinsley shook her head, "Urrr... I'm mainly still trying to process the whole running-into-the-pole part. Once I wrap my head around that, then I'll be in shock about Scarlett Johansson being my savior."

Alana walked behind the counter, hooking her own work bag on one of the pegs. She turned, lifting a perfectly shaped eyebrow at Tinsley, "Did you at least get her number or something?"

"No I didn't, but I wish I did." Tinsley let out a heavy sigh, "But hey, at least I can say I've met her."

Alana dipped her head as if saying "That's true".

As Alana settled in behind the counter and logged herself into the register, the first wave of customers entered the coffee shop. They were the early birds, with a routine of stopping by 5 days a week, every morning, to grab a coffee, like clockwork. Based on previous conversations that Tinsley had overheard, she knew that most of them held fancy, high-paying corporate jobs. It was one of the things Tinsley liked about the morning shift; they usually tipped well.

The rest of her morning went by smoothly, aside from the brief window around 9 am when everyone decided they wanted to get their coffee at the same time. It was always crowded and overwhelming during that rush. Once they got past that part, Tinsley slipped into autopilot mode, barely registering what she was doing; it had become such a habit. The next time she looked at the clock, it was 5 minutes before her shift was scheduled to end. Knowing that Alana wasn't scheduled to get off for another three hours, Tinsley did not want to go home to the silence of her apartment so she decided that she would go to the gym instead.

Tinsley made sure she cleaned up any messes she may have made and then clocked out right on time. Grabbing her work bag off the hook, she wished Alana a sarcastic 'have fun' and let Amanda know that she was leaving. She walked out of the coffee shop into the busy loud world of people and started walking in the direction of the gym, which was conveniently located only a few blocks away. As she got closer and closer to the gym, the sidewalks were getting more and more crowded. Her phone buzzed in her hand and she looked down for a moment to read the message.

Alana

Don't push yourself too hard at the gym, especially since u just injured yourself 2 days ago. I'll be home later tn so u can tell me more about the whole thing. I want all the details!!

It hadn't crossed Tinsley's mind that it probably wasn't the smartest idea to hit the gym yet, but she figured she would be fine. Tinsley continued to walk, slowing her pace just a little as she looked down at her phone and back up to her surroundings as she typed out a response.

Tinsley

Yes I know and you know I will give u the deets later dw lol.

Tinsley waited for a second to see if Alana would respond, but she didn't so she clicked the side button on her phone, picked up her walking pace, and turned her full attention back to her surroundings.

Tinsley went to slip her phone into her jacket zipper pocket, but her zipper was closed and jammed. Frowning in frustration, she attempted to unzip it while continuing to walk, the majority of her attention consumed by the zipper. In her battle with the stubborn zipper, she lost focus of her surroundings, oblivious to the stranger's foot sticking right out in her path. Her own feet stumbled over the foot, disrupting her already unsteady balance and sending her in a nose dive towards the cement. Instinctively, her hands shot out in an attempt to stop her fall, her phone and house keys flying out of her grasp in the chaos.

She managed to catch herself self from hitting her face but twisted her ankle in the process, a sharp stabbing pain shooting up through her foot and ankle. Yelping out in pain, she cursed, "Motherfucker". A few people looked back, but no one stopped to help; they all continued unbothered and on their way.

Wasting no time, she shook off the pain and stood up as quickly as possible to search for her belongings before they either got stepped on or stolen. Spotting her keys first, she leaned down and snatched them off the ground. Her anxiety levels shot up to the sky when she couldn't find her phone anywhere, and the panic started to set in. She spun around, her eyes darting all over the sidewalk as people continued to walk past her. If she couldn't find her phone, she didn't know what she was going to do. She didn't have the money to buy a new one and all the memories she would lose flooded her mind.

Someone tapped her right shoulder from behind, snapping her out of her spiraling thoughts. She spun around quickly to face the person as they spoke, "You looking for this?"

The person was holding out an object in their hand. To Tinsleys immense relief, it was her phone that the person was offering her. Once the panic subsided, her brain allowed her to notice the finer details of what was in front of her, specifically the acrylic nails the person was sporting. The familiarity of them triggered a memory in Tinsley's mind, and she eagerly swept her eyes up the person's torso, internally hoping she was about to get the confirmation she secretly wanted. Tinsley met the stranger's eyes, which were hiding behind the slightly tinted and oversized sunglasses, and she couldn't control the loud gasp that left her throat. 

AUTHORS NOTE:

HEY YALL SO IF I CAN MAINTAIN MY WRITING MOTIVATION I'M GONNA TRY AND SCHEDULE A CERTAIN DAY OF THE WEEK TO ADD A NEW CHAPTER! I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE THIS ONE,  DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT!!

LOVE - A

PSA: currently running on no sleep so please let me know if there is any mistakes or things that don't make sense in the writing!