Forty Winks

Sleep did eventually find you.

When you woke up you were made unpleasantly aware of your injuries and a newfound headache, which twinged angrily from neglect. You gulped down some pain meds in retaliation and had a slow first 'break week' morning, cutting up some apple slices to have with your toast. It was nice to sit down and munch quietly instead of frantically stuff food down your throat before getting ready. Between work and classes your mornings were a constant race to fly out the door and never something to enjoy.

So enjoy it you did. Sure, there were assignments you could be working on, but it was probably time to take a break after... Everything.

You had been working so hard for so long that it likely contributed to your lack of thinking during the daycare fiasco. There was no regard for your safety, only a fierce instinct to protect the kids you had just played with no matter the cost. Said cost wasn't so bad in the end, but those moments where Moon played with you in midair were seared into your brain. They could have ended you by squeezing too tight or letting go for too long - both would have resulted in your blood being spilled. It was only by chance that they had dropped you over the ball pit and not one of the structures or the covered, but still firm, floor.

It was obvious that the Moon you had met then was not the same one you had spoken with previous. There was something faulty with their AI or the software it was stored on - you had heard that Moon doubled as occasional security and it was likely that, just like Monty, Moon had their 'Safe Mode' turned off. One was a coincidence, two was not an accident - this would get investigated and solved during your time off, you were sure of it.

Though speculation did not treat your mental health well and left you in your chair sweating and breathing heavy like you were back in the dark daycare, preyed on by a robot.

There were assignments due this week that you had to get to, but you let yourself have one day to rest after it all.

-

The second and third day is where you focused on class work. Some assignments, some essays - and if you were completely honest with yourself it was all just drivel. Something to be done up and sent off without enthusiasm. When you started your degree it had been something exciting where you lapped the material up. Now it just bored you. What was it that had changed your perspective? Besides the workload that only grew heavier as you went from semester to semester, it had to be your job at the Pizzaplex. Comparing these assignments to the job, you found yourself enjoying the job more; specifically the mechanical part.

Learning about how your animatronic co-workers ticked had been so interesting. From endoskeletons to wires, hardware to software, it was like a whole other realm had been revealed to you.

Engineering had never crossed your mind as a profession to undertake. Even as a child you had sought out higher learning because that was what you were guided to - the trades had never even been in your rearview.

Yet here you were now, in a position so close to mechanical work and yet so far, taught the very basics of these particular projects and nothing else. You held a great appreciation for what the Parts and Service's people did, and a growing disdain for your current education.

Exams were looming, though, and you had to come to terms with the fact that this was the path you had chosen. Something once so fun now a chore, another task to knock off your list. Putting your nose to the grindstone you reviewed your notes and read your textbook, listlessly flipping pages.

As you studied, more often than not your thoughts turned to the Pizzaplex. How were things going right now? Was the daycare shut down or still running, attendant position filled by human staff members? Had the others heard about the incident - were they scared? Unsettled? Concerned? Were they being evaluated, examined in Parts and Services for a similar problem?