admit it. oscar

you sat slouched, your foot propped up on the dash board and your head rolled back watching him drive under the streetlights. you'd been to a party and oscar offered to drive you home. you hadn't spoken to him much since you'd gotten into the car but you couldn't look away from him either.

"quit staring," he mumbled, glancing at you out the corner of his eye for only a second.

"i'm not staring," you mumbled defensively, your head darting forward facing the tarmac again. your eyebrows twitched into a soft frown. being caught out you humphed to yourself. you didn't notice the soft smirk on his lips in your effort to not look at him again for the duration of the drive home, as not to inflate his ego anymore.

"'n' get your feet off the dash," his hand gave a nudge to your thigh. "what d'you think this is?"

you sniffed, your foot falling off the dash as you pushed yourself up straight. you could still feel the brush of his fingertips on your thigh though his hand had long been back on the steering wheel. "'jeez, sorry dad," you said in a huff.

you didn't catch the subtle clench of his jaw, rolling your eyes at him. "funny," he mumbled back at you.

"why you always so mean?" you huffed, your eyebrows knitting into a soft frown, arms crossing over your chest. "it's some scary-best-friends-big-brother-macho-tough-guy bullshit."

"you think i'm a scary?" he quirked an eyebrow at you, glancing at you while he continued to drive. that pout forming on your lips was something he was finding hard to pull his attention away from.

"no, but other boys do," you grumbled.

oscar humphed, pleased with himself. "good."

you rolled your eyes again, pushing yourself upright and pointing an accusing finger at him. "you're impossible," you groaned when he reached over and pushed your accusing finger away from him, this only made your frustration with him grow.

he tilted his head to the side for a second, his eyes rolling to the back of his head. "yeah— well you're a brat," he teased with a hum, watching with a small amount of amusement when your mouth hung open.

"if i act like a brat it's because you make me like this," you fought back. "you treat me like a kid, what do you expect?"

his eyebrows knitted, he shook his head. "i don't treat you like a kid."

"yeah, you do!"

"no, i don't," he was standing his ground, his jaw clenching tighter. "why would i treat you like a kid?"

you'd turned in your seat to face him, your hands clinging to your seat belt the more you riled each other up. oscar had pulled up at a red light.

"'cause you saw me grow up with cesar," your eyes locked with his for a second before his pulled away again. "so you think you have to treat me like you treat him, but you don't. i can look after myself."

you were both quiet for a while, oscar was absorbing your words and you were regretting ever bringing any of this up.

"i don't treat you like this 'cause i think you're a kid," oscar gulped, pulling away as the traffic light changed to green. "i'm jus' looking out for you. i don't wan' you to feel like you have to look out for yourself. i got you."

"yeah, you sure do," you huffed. "you know what it's like trying to get a boyfriend with you hovering over me at parties? you're like a dog marking it's territory," you rolled your eyes again. "and i'm not your territory."

"no?" he quirked an eyebrow at you, glancing at you only for a second. he could see it plain and simple how badly you were deflecting your true feelings. you'd crushed on him since you were a kid, but wouldn't ever admit that to him. it'd be like conceding and you were far too competitive for that. still, oscar liked watching you act like your feelings weren't there.