2: A Broken Vow

JAMEEL

Jameel stared at his reflection in the mirror. His beards had grown full—not too long—making him look like an entirely different person. The glamour that used to emanate luster and brighten up a dark room was absent in his eyes.

"Jameel," A thin voice ranged out his name. "I have made breakfast for you. You will eat before leaving for work, won't you?"

Jameel flashed a smile—a smile that looked so dead. Eyes in a daze, outlying. "I'm going out." 

Wordlessly, she nodded and turned to leave.

"Najah..." His voice was soft. It had been so long he used that tone that he'd forgotten what it sounded like. "I'm sorry."

Najah always had a bright, ebullient smile and this time, it wasn't different. It made her beauty even more evident. "It's fine. I will keep the food in the refrigerator."

"Alright," he replied and began to walk towards the exit of the room.

"Where...are you going?"

"Out," Jameel responded. "With Asim and others. I might return late, don't bother waiting up for me." He did not wait for her response before ambling out of the room.

The drive to Asim's house was a short one. Jameel couldn't help the feeling of despondence that suddenly washed over him. Most of the time, his sadness was a mild ordeal. It barely affected his mood and choice of words around people, but today, melancholy had waged a full-scale attack on his equanimity. All he could reminisce about was the memories he had of Afrah.

His JaFrah.

He heaved a sigh and pulled in front of Asim's maroon gate, honking his hooter. Lately, his buddy's place had become his place of relaxation.

The gates opened and he drove in.

Alighting from his car, Jameel walked into the house and met Asim playing a video game in the living room.

"Hey!" He greeted without taking his gaze off the plasma TV.

Jameel plopped down on the couch and watched his friend play soccer without getting an invite. Not like he cared though. It didn't interest him.

"What's up?" Asim asked, dropping the joypad on the floor, and looking at his friend for the first time since he arrived. "You look..." He furrowed his brows. "worried? Did you get into a fight with your wife?"

"I didn't get into a fight with Najah." Jameel deadpanned.

"I'd have been surprised," he chuckled. "Najah is too calm to start a fight unless you push her buttons."

Jameel hummed.

"I have noticed your visits have become frequent." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"It's fine if you don't want me to come here anymore, I will just look for somewhere else to—"

"I'm just really surprised," Asim cut him off. "If I had a wife—someone as beautiful as Najah, I don't think you'd see me hanging out anymore. I'd spend all of my time with her. She doesn't nag, she is understanding, beautiful, a good cook; I still can't get over the taste of the last meal I had in your house. Gee, you really don't know how lucky you are to have that lady. Tell me, does she have a sister?"

"More than ever, I miss her," Jameel voiced, completely ignoring his friend's question.

Asim nodded. He need not be told whom Jameel was referring to because he had already been told everything about Jameel's past relationship.