68: Good Old Days

The air was heavy with tension, mirroring the weight that had settled upon Jameel's heart. His mind, once a sanctuary of clarity and reason, now teetered on the precipice of distraught.

I want a divorce.

The words reverberated through Jameel's mind, leaving him adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

He and Najah had disagreed on several things, but the last thing he expected to hear from her was divorce. Despite their differences here and there, he couldn't imagine his life without her. She had grown to be a part of his life. Seeing her daily had become so natural that he felt he would be so strange to not have her around. They had been married for close to four years, and although their relationship as a married couple didn't start then, they had created a beautiful friendship. He had gotten a friend whom he could bear his heart out to. Najah had always given him a listening ear, and a shoulder to cry on. She had always had to endure the ups and downs and that made him confident that they would work through any challenges together. But now, faced with the reality of divorce, Jameel felt a variety of emotions—shock, sadness, and a deep sense of loss. He never imagined that Najah's words would affect him that much.

What pissed him off the most was the thought of her finding love in another man's arms.

"What's on your mind?" Afrah asked, startling him out of his trance. "I have been talking to you, no response."

Jameel puffed out his cheeks. "Hajiya is leaving tomorrow."

"Oh...I see. It's the reason you look so stressed. Did you try to convince her to stay?"

"What do you think?" Jameel asked, irritated. "Of course I did, but she didn't listen. Her mind is already made up."

"Maybe you should try to talk to her again, she will—"

"Didn't you hear what I said?"

"And why are you snapping at me?" Afrah asked, annoyed. "I was only trying to help."

Jameel massaged his forehead and heaved a deep sigh. "I'm sorry, my love. I didn't mean to snap at you. I just have a lot on my mind..."

"Other than Hajiya leaving?"

Jameel nodded.

"Care to share?"

"I talked to Najah after my conversation with Hajiya. I wanted clarity on what's been happening in this house and to set some things right..."

"And let me guess," Afrah sneered. "She accused me of being the bad guy?"

"Afrah, Najah wants a divorce."

It took Afrah a minute or so to react. Her eyes widened. "She told you that? Like, did she tell you with her own mouth or you just feel she does?"

Jameel shook his head. "She told me."

"Hmm."

"But I'm not going to do it," Jameel added. "Hajiya is not going to take it well. And I know she didn't mean it. She said it out of spite because I was calling her out on being an instigator."

"Hajiya would understand," Afrah said. "If it's what she wants, you can't stand in her way."

Jameel chuckled, shaking his head. "It's not what she wants. I know Najah like the back of my palm. She wants to take it to court. I won't let her cause Hajiya any pain..."

"Hajiya or you?" Afrah snorted. "You don't have to act unbothered around me. The look on your face says it all."

Jameel shrugged. He wasn't even trying to act like he didn't care in the first place. Of course, he did. This was someone who had always had his back. He wouldn't be able to forgive himself if he betrayed her in any way. "Hajiya won't forgive me."