79: Who Is Right?

Arriving at his wife, Afrah's parents' house, Jameel was greeted by the sight of Jinan, practically vibrating with excitement by the doorway. Her smile stretched from ear to ear as she called out. "Ya Afrah!" And engulfed her in a tight hug.

Jameel could see just how much the sisters missed each other and it made him wonder how it would have felt if he had a sibling.

Disentangling herself from her sister, Jinan turned to Jameel, finally acknowledging his presence. Her smile grew even bigger as her eyes, the same warm brown as Afrah's landed on Fawaaz, who was staring blankly on Jameel's arm. "Good morning, Ya jameel. Fawaaz! Come to auntie! I've missed you so much!"

Jameel chuckled; the sound warm and genuine. "Good morning, Jinan," he greeted back, passing Fawaaz into her outstretched arms. "How have you been?"

"Fine, Alhamdulillah," Jinan responded, bouncing Fawaaz gently in her arms. "He's gotten so big!"

"Is Dad around, Jinan?" Afrah asked, looking around.

"No, he's not," she replied, her attention still on baby Fawaaz.

"Nazeer?"

"He's also not at home," she responded. "He's probably out, playing football with his friends. Same old."

"Oh, and mum?"

"She's in her room...waiting patiently for her favorite daughter," she winked.

Afrah rolled her eyes in response. "I thought you were supposed to be in school?"

"Semester break, Ya Afrah, semester break," she said, drawling out the vowels. "I really can't wait to finish."

"She's in her room, right?" it was Jameel who spoke, breaking their conversation. "We will go and see her now." With that said, Jameel walked past her and headed to his mother-in-law's room. He couldn't help but feel nervous about the meeting with Mrs. Amina. She was supposed to be a bridge between him and Afrah, a voice of reason who could help them reconcile. But what if he ended up getting judged and accused of being the villain in their marital discord?

In front of the closed door, Jameel took a deep breath in an attempt to quiet the knot of worry in his gut. He wasn't sure what awaited him inside. Mrs. Amina held the key to a potential reconciliation. All Jameel hoped for, was a listening ear and a motherly advice.

Gently, he knocked on the wooden door.

"You can come in," Mrs. Amina called from the other side of the door.

Pushing open the door and stepping in hesitantly, Jameel muttered, "Assalamualaikum."

"Wa alaikum salaam," she responded, her gaze meeting his.

She was seated on a plush couch by the corner of the room; a Hadith book lay open on her laps.

Out of the great respect Jameel still held for Mrs. Amina, despite the rift with his daughter, he bypassed the armchair facing the couch and settled on the floor beside it, lowering his head in a respective bow.

Just then, Afrah walked in. Her gaze wandered for a while before it finally settled on Jameel. With a hesitant sigh, she lowered herself down beside him, leaving a distance between them that mirrored the one in their hearts.

"Welcome," Mrs. Amina finally spoke, putting aside the book.

"Thank you," it was Afrah who responded.

"Where's my grandson?" She inquired.

"He's with Jinan," Afrah answered, her hand instinctively reaching for the arm of the couch, as if to get up. "let me-"