Chapter 2

Lancel was not going to die today.

The Argon was charging at him - approaching way faster than a normal man should. He was an Argon after all, blessed by the god of war to be beacons of physical prowess and perfection. Lancel had envied them, but now he feared one.

But I will not die, not here, and not today. This is the one chance I was looking for. Lancel felt the anxiety deep in his chest. Look at the bright side, at least people will talk about how I took down an Argon covered with Thracite.

The Argon was thirty paces away, sprinting with its great axe raised. Lancel bent his knees slightly, getting ready to pounce in the opposite direction of the attack. The Argon jumped.

His empowered legs pushed him up and he soared twenty feet into the air and went down in an arc... towards Lancel.

Shit!

Lancel had to throw himself out of the way as the Argon landed and slammed his great axe down to the ground. The impact cracked the earth beneath its armored boots, a cloud of dust and soil blew up in the air. He pulled his great axe from the ground, and turned to see Lancel - lying down on his side.

Lancel got up, struggling to regain his footing. The Argon ran at enhanced speeds and swung its great axe in a wide arc. Lancel duck beneath it and struck the Argon just beneath his ribs. Stain glided through the Thracite armor. Lancel had never seen Thracite cut Thracite, but he had no time.

He immediately jumped forward, rolling his body and coming up to his knees. The Argon turned to Lancel, moving comfortably and effortlessly in such lightweight armor. The cut Lancel had made closed in a matter of seconds, smoke reforging the metal that was damaged. Now, that's useful, Lancel thought. He never had to strike anything twice with Stain, and years of training can never prepare you to face the real thing in battle.

"Lancel Sadelyn, son of Regis Sadelyn, second in line to the Scalgue lordship," the Argon spoke with a deep and booming voice. Why did they always have to sound so intimidating?

"Ah yes, you've heard of me. I guess my reputation goes far and wide. Though, I hope you didn't learn all that from any of my past lovers." Lancel got back up to his feet. "They aren't honest, especially when it comes to my physical features."

"I have met none of these... lovers that you speak of. You are-"

"Well, that's a relief," Lancel interrupted. "Oh, I'm sorry - please continue." He saw the Argon was still radiating his aura from his armor and from within. It was barely visible, but Lancel saw the wisps of gray coming from the Argon's eye slits. He is still consuming Kanna, and he has to use up more for both his strength and armor.

This man covered in armor, with metal imbued with the powers of a god, looked annoyed if that was ever possible. "I said, you are quite infamous in Fardea for beating back every attack. They said you slaughter without care and hesitation, that you are personally Blessed by Thracius to wield his metals like no other."

Lancel would probably blush, but he was sweating and hot all over. He did appreciate the compliments, neglecting the Argon's point and context of what he was talking about.

"I appreciate your kind words. I also understand if you fear me, and so I will accept your surrender." Lancel stood up straight and proud. He did not need to pretend when it came to arrogance and strength, he had all the self-confidence for that. If this man was scared, maybe Lancel didn't need to fight. I can win this by sheer reputation. Lancel stopped using his Kanna, he was going to need every advantage he can afford.

"I will spare your life, but you must strip down your armor and leave it behind as payment." Was Lancel pushing it?

The Argon belted out a deep laugh. "Surrender? You mistake my words for compliments."