Christmas Special | Part 05

The first memorable thing was that the nest kicked Haewon and Namjoon out of their shared dorm. Telling a protesting Namjoon that although they knew he really wanted to help prepare Christmas for Haewon someone was needed to keep her company. Their shared fear of Namjoon breaking anything they prepared was unsaid but definitely heard by everyone.
So it was with a grumble for being kicked out due to clumsiness and an elated giddiness for spending time alone with the mate they had known the least amount of time that Namjoon took Haewon's hand and led her outside into the snow covered park of the Sanguis Academy.

The snow crunched beneath their feet as they slowly walked past the large building and towards the forest. Snow covered pine trees glittering in the dim moon light. Like tiny gems put on each needle just for them to enjoy the pretty sight. Neither felt the cold as it was not in their vampiric nature to be bothered by such trivial things.
And yet, Namjoon took hold of Haewon's hand with a gentle smile.
"So your hand doesn't get cold", he murmured a bit shyly and Haewon only nodded. A slight blush on her face that didn't come from the cold hair.

There weren't many others outside, most preferring to stay inside. Haewon didn't understand that. Not when the forest and lake were there, frozen in breathtaking beauty and illuminated by the silver light of the moon. How could anyone stay inside when such a sight was waiting?
"It's beautiful, isn't it?", Namjoon whispered almost in awe, voice low and nothing but a hum as if he didn't want to disturb the tranquillity around them.
Haewon nodded without looking at him. Both too fixated by the wonders around them and yet connected by their hands. Sharing this moment. Sharing this love for nature.

"Tell me again", Namjoon demanded, this time looking at his mate with nothing but deep adoration. "Tell me again, how it was when you were younger."
Her hand squeezed his in a wordless reassurance. Even if she didn't look at him, she loved him. Even if he asked a hundred times more, she'd always tell him again.
And so Haewon began to talk. "This forest was already here when I was nothing but a young child", she said in a low, soothing tone as they wandered through the forest, snow crunching beneath their feet and ice and snow glittering in the moon light.
"But the trees were young back then. Still at the very beginning of their time but already so strong."

Haewon talked about playing hide and seek, about her strolls through the forest when she was older, about the wonders hidden beneath the surface of the lake, about the whispers of the wind in the tree branches and about so much more.
And she never let go of Namjoon's hand during it all. And Namjoon never stopped listening to her stories and looking at the nature around him. Content to experience it with Haewon.

He stopped at the edge of the forest from where they had a pretty view on the Academy's building. His hand still holding Haewon's, slowly pulling her closer.
"Enough stories for today?", Haewon asked a bit teasingly as she leaned against his chest, head resting against his shoulder as he let go of her hand and instead put his arm around her shoulders.
"Hmm...", he hummed and nuzzled his nose into the crook of her neck. "For now."
Haewon leaned a bit more into his shoulder so she could turn her head to look right up at him.
"Anything else on your mind?", she wondered with a little amused lilt in her tone. Eyes gleaming with mischief and anticipation.
Namjoon's lips pulled into a soft smile as he leaned down. His eyes flicking to her lips. "Most likely", he whispered.

Haewon closed her eyes. It was perfect. The snow and the moonlight. The gentleness of the entire night.
All that was missing were his lips on hers. Soft and tender and careful to not be too forceful. Uncertain of his own strength. So very worried to hurt her or his other mates.
Namjoon kissed with such care that it made one's heart ache in the most loving of ways.
And Haewon couldn't wait to feel that sweet, sweet ache once again.

But it never came. 

...to be continued...