Chapter 1

Y/n L/n was a flower, but flowers can fade. Like a candle.

Before she was born; when her papá and Tia were just bebés, her Abuelo had to flee his home with others such as the Madrigals; her Abuela had died before they started the journey and her Abuelo was heartbroken but kept a picture of her in his locket.

There was commotion as he crossed a river with his two bebés in hand, as the noise grew louder he heard screaming and ran into the woods nearby. There he had fallen to his knees looking at the picture of his wife and cried, and cried, and cried. His tears soaking a san joaquin flower, the flower started to glow brighter and brighter until there was a flash—no two flashes on two different sides of the hill. Glowing floors and walls started to spread and grow before him.

There it was his casita for his family—his children and their children and every generation after that and in the distance directly across from his was another casita. As he walked through his casita he had a realization the casita seemed to be alive almost—a mind of its own.

That is how the miracle found her and her family long ago. And every time a L/n came of age the casita granted the child a gift to help the village they helped build.

The same thing happened with the Madrigals and because of that the L/n and the Madrigals grew to frenemies, each family's abuelos would argue about who built this town no one else in the families cared about it they just were happy they weren't alone.

Her Tia Maria married her Tio Gabriel and had her Primo Carlos and Primo Ricardo. While her papá Lorenzo married her mamá Renata and had her and her older hermano Clay and younger hermano Diego.

Maria is 50 and can read minds which is sometimes just as annoying as it is for everyone else as it is for her, Lorenzo is 50 and can talk to plants so all the farmers and florists adore him it's actually how him and Renata met; she's a florist, Carlos is 20 and can phase with means he can pass through solid objects, Clay is 18 and can see what others see—like seeing the world through them, Ricardo is 16 and can turn invisible; he's pretty mischievous to say the least, Diego is 5 and can breathe underwater like a fish, And Y/n is 15 and she can control the elements she harnesses the wind, earth, water, and fire.

Though Y/n has trouble with controlling her powers it makes things tricky around her she can't help as much as the others can, instead she helps with small things like creating a bonfire or changing a tide.

There were incidence when she was younger with fires or floods or aggressive winds or the ground shifting, the abuela of the Madrigals especially looked down on her for it saying that she needs to learn discipline—she would cry at her words but Señor Bruno always gave her a flower whenever he saw her and told her it was not her fault which made her want to see him again but one day he just disappeared from the town leaving her and his family. She had always wondered why and sometimes it kept her up at night but she learned to live with it as did everyone else.

Y/n's pov:

Present day.

It was sunny but it looked like at any moment a thunderstorm was approaching "Señora Pepa much be on edge" I commented at breakfast, I was at one head of the table while my abuelo was at the other end and everyone else was scattered on either end "can't blame her, gift ceremonies can be stressful believe me" my abuelo added from across the table, he been through many gift ceremonies in the past and only one had gone wrong 'poor Mirabel' I chewed on the thought with my breakfast. The breakfast table was a commotion as usual.