Chapter 03: The Detective

A/N: It's Loki's turn! Did you miss our lead detective?

LOKI

WHEN I was in high school, some people jested that I was cursed. As a self-proclaimed teenage detective, I was supposed to be the one chasing cases. But as it happened, cases seemed to be chasing me. It's silly because I never believed in curses or anything that defies logic. While some may find that funny, I did not. I honestly thought that the odds of me encountering cases wherever I went were just ridiculously high. They're nothing but coincidences.

Things started to change when I went to college. The alleged curse appeared to have been lifted. I began to experience a peaceful yet boring student life. There were still cases left and right that I tried to solve, but they weren't as frequent and as intense in my high school days.

In retrospect, if curses were even real, I began to think that I wasn't the unfortunate one. It's my high school. When I left that place, the heavy feeling of being followed by mysteries gradually disappeared. I therefore concluded that it had nothing to do with me.

Why was I thinking about that so-called curse? I was afraid that I might have brought bad luck to Clark City Theater. Perhaps I should not have come here at all. A tragedy might not have struck at all.

Just kidding. It's only an unfortunate coincidence that something happened while I was here.

But that was after the peformance. Let's take a few steps back, before the situation got worse.

Lorelei, Alistair and I took our seats on the front row as soon as the theater opened. I prefer the backseat, but this was the ticket that I got and I couldn't do anything but sit where I was supposed to. Along our row where men in suits and women in dresses, probably in their middle ages. The three of us were the only ones who looked young here. I didn't care at all as long as they did not bother me and ruin my viewing experience.

The theater was jampacked. Every vacant seat was occupied by people excited to watch the play. Five minutes after everyone settled down, the lights dimmed until everything became dark.

Then the show began. If I could be frank, I wasn't interested in watching the story unfold. I only came here to show my support to Jamie. Lorelei would surely hunt me down if I ditched them tonight. Alistair may refuse to represent me should I get into trouble with the law in the future. Bottomline: I wasn't interested in watching the play. I was only interested in watching one single actress.

It was a struggle for me to keep myself awake. The entire show was not boring at all. I felt sleepy because I've been sleep-deprived the past few days. I could have used my technique of sleeping with my eyes open and pretend that I watched the play. But that would be rude to Jamie. She'd ask me for my feedback on her acting. I wanted to give her a genuine answer. She deserved nothing less.

After two hours of struggling not to fall asleep, the show was finally done. The actors and actresses went on stage and took a well deserved bow. Then the curtains closed. The lights were back and people began to leave the theater in an orderly manner.