Chapter 2

The day before

Not Potter- anyone but Potter. The universe was clearly not finished paying him back for the past.
"Potter, Malfoy, may I talk to you? Yes, now please, come with me." McGonagall's brisk voice cut through the chatter of other 8th years discussing their new roommates. Most of the others were in dorms of 3 or 4 but -lucky him- Draco was sharing a double room with Harry. Who he had the most complicated relationship with in the history of all relationships. More complicated, Draco thought to himself, than the relationship he had with his father. After the war everything between them had just seemed so messy. Contact seemed unnecessary until after that whole deal with the trials, and then contact was necessary, and awkward apologies were due. From the glance he just received from Harry, the lingering awkwardness he felt was shared by the other boy. On top of that, this man had the audacity to be this fine. On the first day back at Hogwarts as well. Not that he didn't expect this, his one-sided crush had become intense at some point during 3rd year, and at this point seemed embarrassing to call a crush. Embarrassing to even think about. And so he looked away and followed McGonagall to the edge of the 8th year common room. Where he discovered that it was not the universe against him, but McGonagall.
"I was hoping the two of you could set an example of the unification between the houses we're hoping for this year." She explained. Harry kept silent but nodded curtly, his head turned away from Draco.
"Calling each other by your first names, not fighting, that kind of example." McGonagall continued, causing Harry to clench his jaw, still looking away from both of them.
"Okay," he replied. "Was that all headmistress?" At her dismissal, they left together to find their room. They were entirely civil to each other all afternoon, deciding which bed they got with little exchange of words.
"See you, Draco." Harry coughed and left the room, presumably to find Weasley and Granger. Draco sat on the edge of his bed, blinking heavily and slouching his back much more than was proper for a Malfoy. He got ready for bed early, not wanting to have to deal with Potter when he got back to the room. Pansy showed up as he was brushing his hair. She grinned at him, sitting down on the bed next to him.
"I would mess up your hair, but you look like you've been through enough today." Draco sighed and put his brush down.
"Potter, of all people." He groaned and buried his face in his hands.
"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got Granger and some random Hufflepuff." She said, rubbing his back. "Although I haven't had a massive crush on them since 2nd year, so I definitely got a better deal in this." Draco responded by flopping back onto the bed.
"How am I even going to survive this?" He whined.
"I mean, you survived Voldemort. Although," She paused, as if something had just occurred to her. "6 years is a pretty long time for a crush." Draco flapped his hand in her direction in a failed attempt to whack her, making her laugh. She clapped her hands.
"I know what will make you feel better!" She exclaimed. "I got this new nail polish that is the exact same pastel sky blue as your hair, it'll match so well." Draco sat up at this, thoughts of Potter growing a little less overwhelming at the distraction.