Chapter 4

"Dammit." Draco muttered under his breath. They had every. single. class. together. Except ancient runes, but that was hardly a respite. The morning had been the most awkward he had felt in his life.

Harry had clearly wanted to yell, but was too confused. He had leapt out of the bed and Draco had to bite the side of his cheek to make himself look away. Harry looked perpetually messy all of the time, but in the morning it was different. His hair wild, his pajamas hanging off his frame. The word 'cute' crossed Draco's mind, leaving quickly as he shoved it away. God he was going to have to wake up at the crack of dawn to avoid Harry every morning. Maybe it would be therapeutic to watch the sunrise every morning. After the awkward rush of getting ready, both of them trying to leave as fast as they could, they ended up crashing into each other outside of the bathroom, Harry stopping himself from saying anything, but Draco had seen the look on his face and hurried inside, locking the door quickly. They had ended up leaving together as well, forcing them into an awkward descent of the stairs, neither of them looking at each other.

"Ah, lookey here. It's another Slytherin git." He was at breakfast too early for Pansy, leaving him alone at the table. He had expected the taunts and was being extra cautious in the hallways whenever he walked alone. He knew it would be especially bad at the beginning, but hoped it might die down as the year went on. "What did your daddy do during the war?" One of them mocked. They whispered something to the other and laughed cruelly. "You're lucky there's teachers here right now." One of them muttered under his breath, leaning closer to Draco. They left suddenly, muttering amongst themselves. He closed his eyes and breathed out slowly, stretching his hands to stop the shaking. As he got up to leave, his eyes fell on Harry a few seats down the table, looking like he'd curse anyone who tried to talk to him. Draco left the hall, queasy with the thought Harry might've heard something.

____

Draco sat in potions, trying to focus on the instructions and not on Harry's presence behind him. It was like a slight magnetic pull, letting him know where he was.

"...this smell of to you? Anyone willing to tell the class?" Draco sighed as Granger's hand shot up.

"Well- the smell often reveals to you who you love. I personally smell freshly mown grass and parchment paper." Oh. They were learning how to brew amortentia. That explained why Draco was so aware of Harry's presence. Although, now that he thought about it, there was a new smell, one he didn't quite recognise. It was familiar, and comforting, but he couldn't pinpoint what it was. It was pointless. These potions were dumb. He sighed and copied down the tips into his textbook. He packed up his things slowly, not wanting the leave the comforting aroma of the room. Walking a few metres behind them, Draco followed the golden trio to their next class.

"No- stop asking me." Harry's voice rose, reaching Draco. "It doesn't matter anyway, because I don't know myself. You're not going to know either." From the back, Draco could tell his ears were red, and his fingers tapped at his sides, giving away his embarrassment. "Amortentia is-" Their conversation cut out as they entered the classroom, and Draco paused at the door, curious as to what Harry had smelled. He sighed again and went in. It was all pointless. This was love. It made you confused, and then it screwed you over, yet you kept believing in it, in what you wanted to believe. He shook his head as if to shake the thoughts out. He didn't want to think about Harry anymore.