Chapter Thirteen

By the time I woke up for real, it was around 11:00 and it was because Mom was screaming at me. We had both forgotten that it was a school day, and I was late.

I really needed to pee, though, and I wanted to continue sleeping and pretend like I didn't hear Mom yelling, but my bladder had to be emptied, so I went into the bathroom to relieve it.

On my way there, I looked in the mirror as I usually did, mainly to look at how frizzy my hair was, but I immediately regretted it. My left eye was just starting to bruise, as there were hints of purple around it. The purple could have passed off for a dark bag under my eye, making me seem tired, but if the lighting was bright, it was noticeably something more than just an eye bag.

I used the bathroom after turning my head away, not being able to look at my eye any longer. I got ready for school and grabbed my backpack when I was done, following Mom out of the door as she grabbed her keys.

The ride to school was spent in silence, and I entered the building quickly, sighing as I did so, with Mom hot on my heels. I went to class as she signed me in, and almost everyone's eyes turned to face the distraction that I caused as I entered the room, interrupting the lesson my history teacher was having.

I sat down next to Amanda, noticing how quiet Claire was. She didn't even glance at me when I walked in. "How's she been?" I asked, wanting to see if she had been acting rowdy and self-absorbed while I wasn't present, as if my arrival made her gloomy or if today was just an off day for her.

"Quiet. She hasn't said anything all day, as far as I can tell," Amanda answered.

I shrugged, turning my attention back to the teacher. It may have seemed like I was listening to what she was saying, but I really wasn't. I sneakily glanced at Claire throughout the rest of class, concerned about her well-being.

After a paper was slapped on my desk, presumably my homework, the bell rang. We dispersed, most of us going off to lunch.

I walked into the cafeteria alongside Amanda, finding our spot occupied by Spencer and Lexi. I plopped my lunchbox on the table, telling my friends that I had to use the bathroom, and that I'd be back when I was done.

I walked towards the exit on my left, but I felt a light pat on my shoulder before I could reach it. I turned around, facing Claire as her fingers tapped against each other in front of her ribs.

"Hi," I said after a little bit of awkward silence.

"I'm going to a mental hospital," she blurted out. Her gaze met my eyes, and she continued, "I just thought you should know."

I was shocked, and she knew I was from how my jaw dropped to the floor. I knew it was a decision she ultimately made, but I wasn't sure if she had made it rashly or if she had thought it out and talked to her dad about it.

"Are you sure?" I asked, voicing my concerns.

"I told my dad about it after I left your house, and he seemed to think it was a good idea," Claire replied, her fingers resting as she clasped her hands in front of her, leaving them folded in front of her stomach.

I gulped, trying to think of what to say. I thought that it would be good for her. She would have constant supervision, a consistent therapist, and people surrounding her that knew what she was going through. There wouldn't be too many stares that made her self conscious, like there would be in school. But instead of telling her all of that, I asked, "You want to do this?"

She nodded, not dropping her eyes from mine, and responded, "My dad was trying to figure it all out, like where I'd go and when I'd be leaving and all of that, so he took the day off. He even texted me during science after he did everything, and he said that I would be leaving tomorrow."

My eyes widened the teeniest bit, not expecting her to be leaving so soon. "Are you gonna tell anybody?" I wondered, curious.

"Probably not," Claire chuckled. She grew serious, and licked her lips, "Can you wave me goodbye when I go?"

I smiled, "Of course."

We stood there in silence for a couple of seconds before my practically nonexistent bladder decided to make its situation relevant again. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom," I said awkwardly before walking around her to leave the cafeteria.

The rest of the school day went by slowly, but it went by nonetheless. I was restless for the next day to show up, just waiting for it impatiently.

By the time the next day arrived and I got up and out of my bed to wave Claire off, it was 7:00. I had gotten little to no sleep throughout the night, and I was dead tired, but Mom said that I couldn't be late to school again, so I couldn't sleep in. Claire was leaving early, anyway, so it didn't really make a difference.

I stood on my porch after making myself presentable enough to be seen in public. I didn't want to wait for Claire on her porch, as I didn't want to see her cry nor did I want to give her a hug before she left. Instead, I occupied myself by looking at the white car that was parked in the driveway of her house across the street. It would soon transport her to the hospital, with her father as the driver. It would soon take her to the next chapter of her life.

I heard her front door open, and I turned my attention to her. She had a bag in one of her hands, and she loaded it into the trunk of the car, not even sparing me a glance. She walked around and hopped in on the passenger side, slamming the door shut behind her.

The engine roared to life, and it wasn't long before the car was backing out of the driveway, Claire looking out of the window to see if I was actually there, carrying out her request.

I was, obviously, and she waved to me without rolling down her window, without saying anything. She waved and I waved back. I waved until the car turned off of our street and onto a more major road.

It seemed as though I was a little more free, though, as I took a deep breath of uncontaminated air. It held no rumors, no lies, and it certainly no pain. It held no Claire, and I knew that would take some time to get used to, but I was ready for it, and she was, too.