Chapter Twenty One

Wordlessly, Jungkook towed me upstairs and into his bedroom, softly shutting his door behind us.

My sweet bunny boy looked more sombre than I had ever seen him before - his long black ears flat and drooping, those pretty pink lips turned down, his big shiny eyes looking sad and deflated.
With a heavy sigh he flopped onto his bed, landing on his side. As he had yet to release his tight hold on my hand, I was left with little choice but to collapse all but on top of him.

He let out another loud sigh, his lower lip fattening as his despondent expression turned pouty.
I shuffled closer to him until the tip of his nose touched against mine.

"Why so sad, my prince?"

He sighed impossibly louder, gazing unhappily into my eyes. "'M a bad boyfriend," he mumbled.

I couldn't help but scoff. "Uh, no."

He huffed out something that was closer to a growl than a sigh this time, his dark brows slanting into a frown as he rolled onto his back, throwing an arm over his eyes.

"Yeah I ammm." His whine was muffled but insistent. I stared in disbelief for a moment. How could he possibly think that?

I reached out to tug at his sleeve, trying to make his arm drop. "Kookieee." He shook his head, sniffing once. I pulled uselessly on his sleeve a couple more times before giving up, boldness sweeping over me as I impulsively decided on a different tactic. Moving quickly before I lost my nerve, I crawled on top of Jungkook until I was sitting on his middle. His arm shot down to reveal his dark eyes, wide as saucers as he gazed up at me in surprise.

"Jeon Jungkook," I said, giving his chest a poke. "You are the best boyfriend I could possibly dream of. Even better! So stop saying otherwise." I softened my voice, my eyes catching on the telltale glittering of upset in Jungkook's.

He sniffled, his nose scrunching and his teeth poking out as he nibbled on his lower lip once before he spoke in a sad voice. "But . . . But I p-pressured you, baby. I was being selfish when I asked you to move in with me. I just wanna keep you safe and be with you all the time."

"You don't think I want that too?" I shot back, laying down against his chest and cupping my hand against his cheek. "I want to be with you all the time too, Kooks. Guess that makes me selfish as well, huh?" I giggled softly as I caught the tiny smile his lips quirked into before he pouted again, his ears wilting.

"Well, okay . . . but . . . that's not the only bad thing I did." He huffed out as he circled his arms around my waist, carefully sliding me further up his body until my face was close to his.

Exasperated, I attempted to argue. "Kook, you didn't do anything bad-"
My words were cut off as I let out a surprised gasp, Jungkook having gripped my body tight before flipping our positions. Now laying on my back, I blinked up at his serious face. His touch was so gentle as he brushed my hair back from my face.

"Kook?"

"It's just . . ." He hesitated, pausing to chew on his lip as he appeared to mull over his words. "I don't want to say sorry for making you promise not to get hurt anymore but . . . at the same time, I feel really sorry for the same thing. I know it's not that simple for you." I nodded slowly, grateful for his words and understanding.

"You were right though, Kook." I said. "I should've made that promise to myself a long time ago. I just wish - I wish I weren't so damn scared of him." I trapped my now trembling bottom lip between my teeth, fiercely blinking back the stupid tears I could feel forming.

"Y/N baby I swear you won't always have to be scared of him, okay?" Jungkook's voice rang with a tenacious conviction, his hand curving around my cheek, thumbing gently at my lip. "I won't let him hurt you again, angel. I promise I won't let him. I love you so much."
His thumb slipped from my lip only to be immediately replaced by his lips, his kiss as passionate as his words.