epilogue

A/N: SURPRISE OMFG

UR WELCOME I WASNT GONNA UPDATE FOR ANOTHER 100 READS BUT IM NICE

THIS IS THE END SO PLS READ THE NOTE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EPILOGUE

seven years later

i had gotten out of the mental hospital earlier today. partly for good behavior, as i was supposed to be out in two more years. they have also concluded i can live with my mental illness, i don't need to be in the hospital for the rest of my life.

i don't know where i'm going to go. first, i want to go home and see my family. they have been visiting me over the years and they know that i didn't mean to do what i did, because i thought it was another person.

they have learned to live with it. they treat me like a normal human being, and i am thankful for that.

i hand the cab driver money and slip out of the vehicle, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

home.

i'm finally home.

i walk up the porch steps and slowly raise my hand to knock. my heart thumps fast in my chest.

knock, knock, knock

i stand here for a few minutes, rocking gently back and forth on my heels as i wait for someone to answer.

"luke?" i look up, and a smile grows on my face.

"mum" i breathe, and she pulls me into a hug.

"oh my god, i thought you would never come home" she sobs into my neck, holding me tight.

the rest of my family come out one by one. ben, jack, my dad, and even their kids. they must be visiting.

the house is the same as the last time i saw it. there are a few more pictures tacked onto the wall.

we all share stories and hugs. there are tears involved, but they're all happy. happy that i'm finally home.

we sit down and eat dinner together, chicken and potatoes and even salad, which i didn't know i've missed. i've missed a lot.

"it's time for us to go now, it's getting late" jack announces, standing up from the couch and taking his wife with him.

they gather their children and we say our goodbyes to ben's family, too. as they crowd out through the door, a silent tear slips down my face.

where would i be if this had never happened to me? i can't help but wonder if my life would be so much better.

i excuse myself and walk up to my old room, where my mom had set my bag in hours earlier.

i push the door open slightly, hoping it's the same. hoping nobody ever moved anything.

it looks the same as i left it.

i let out a shaky breath of relief as more tears slide down my face.

my phone is on my nightstand, obviously dead but it's still there. in one piece.

i used to be a weak teenager who hated his life. but now i've aged much more since then, and i have grown much stronger mentally. i have learned not to let people break me down. i can't let people get to me.

but there's this one person that is. and i don't know how he will react.

i find the charger for my old phone and plug it in, waiting for it to turn on.

when it does, my heart beats faster and faster.

the fear of falling apart.

"c'mon luke, just look at it" i mumble, staring as it turns on.

9 new messages

i read them and allow myself to cry.

lilac boy: it's okay

lilac boy: i understand why you did it

lilac boy: it wasn't your fault, luke

lilac boy: i'm sorry it had to end this way

lilac boy: fuck that's so cliché i'm sorry

lilac boy: i'm sorry lucas

lilac boy: i'll always remember you

lilac boy: because i am in love with you

lilac boy: and i hope that i never stop being in love with you, flower boy

☹☹☻☻☹☹☻☻

the next morning, i discover that he still lives in the exact same house he used to. though, his parents are no longer here. i guess he wants to keep all the memories, to somehow keep them alive.

i take deep breaths as i walk on the sidewalk. his house is in front of me now, and i don't want to do this.

i don't want him to look at me like i'm a monster ever again.

he was in love with me, and now he probably isn't.

i want to cry as i walk up the steps to his house and somehow i knock before thinking about it.

i don't think he's going to answer, and i'm about to walk away after a few minutes of waiting when the door opens.

it's a girl, maybe in her early twenties.

"oh hi" she says, "who are you?"

my heart drops below my ankles.

"hi i'm uh- luke, i-is michael here by any chance?" i fiddle with the end of my shirt nervously.

the girl gasps, wide-eyes, "oh my god. i'll be right back."

she closes the door until it's barely cracked open, and leaves me standing on the porch alone.

"jack, come on let's go upstairs and play, daddy's busy!" i hear her say, and a few moments later i hear footsteps go up the stairs.

michael has a son, and she must be the mother.

he moved on, oh my god he moved on i'm so stupid to think he wouldn't.

before i can dwell on it much, the door opens, and there, in all his pride and glory, is michael clifford, with a slight limp on his right side.

"oh my-" his mouth tries to form words, his eyes wide.

michael's hair is a white blonde now, how i've always liked it. his eyebrow piercing is still in, but not his lip ring.

we stand in silence, gaping at each other until we find the words on our tongues.

"luke holy shit" he finally says.

"michael" my voice cracks as i blink back tears.

in one motion he pulls me to him and we crash in a heartbreaking hug. it breathes words we're not able to speak and suddenly things are exactly the way they were almost eight years ago.

"god damnit luke i thought you weren't coming back" he breathes into my neck, and i feel wet tears on my skin. we're both crying now.

"come inside" he sniffles, pulling away from me, "we have a lot to catch up on."

A/N: HOLY MOTHER OF GOATS THIS STORY IS OVER

BY THE TIME I PUBLISH THIS ITS PROBABLY STILL NOT GONNA HAVE THAT MUCH READS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR READING AND STICKING THROUGH THIS CRAPPY STORY I LOVE YOU GUYS TO THE MOON AND BACK AND I CANT THANK Y'ALL ENOUGH I'M JUST A LONELY GIRL WHO LOVES TO WRITE EVEN THOUGH SHES SHITTY AND ILL EDIT THIS LATER

IVE GOTTEN SO ATTACHED BC THIS IS THE FIRST STORY I'VE EVER COMPLETED AND IF IT WERENT FOR YOU GUYS COMMENTING I WOULD'VE DELETED IT AFTER I PUBLISHED TWO CHAPTERS. WRITING AND 5SOS ARE MY WHOLE WORLD SO THANK YOU FOR NOT THINKING ITS SHITTY.

SO I KIND OF WANT TO MAKE A SEQUEL KIND OF THING WHERE ITS IN MICHAEL'S POV WHILE LUKE IS AWAY BUT IDK I FEEL LIKE IT WOULDNT BE AS GOOD, THOUGHTS???

LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED XX