☆47☆

"I'm gonna make a speech everybody," Bill shouts as he clinks the glass and makes his way to the other end of the table, so he has to clear the entire length of the table to get to you.

And the realisation suddenly dawns that the fool is gonna do just that.

Everyone starts clapping to the beat, stamping their feet while laughing gleefully, and you feel your cheeks burn in a combination of flattered and bemused.

He's gonna make himself look like an idiot in front of everyone. Just for you!

Bill throws his glass and fork away, letting the glass smash somewhere, points at you from the other side of the table, and before he starts singing and walking, flashes you his trademarked brilliant grin. You can't help but grin back.

"If you're all alone,
And the pretty birds have gone,
Honey I'm still free,
Take a chance on me,
Gonna do my very best,
And it ain't no lie,
If you put me to the test,
If you let me try,

Take a chance on me," he sings as he reaches you and smiles at you like there's nobody else there, despite the raucous hollers, "Take a chance on me,

We can go dancing," he adds, jumping down from the table and sweeping you up into his arms.
After you finish screaming in delight, you manage to retort, "We can go walking!"
"As long as we're together!" he replies in rhythm, and as soon as he places you back onto the ground he takes your hand and whirls you about with him, still singing.

"Listen to some music,"
"Maybe just talking!" you sing breathlessly, and he sings back,
"You'll get to know me better!

Cause you know I've got,
So much that I wanna do,
When I dream I'm alone with you,
It's magic!"

You can't believe the amount of effort he's putting into leading you on almost the same steps you danced with him over twenty years ago! You're so impressed!

He asks in song, "You want me to leave it there," and you cut in,
"Afraid of a love affair,"
but, appropriately, he sings back in total earnest and honesty,
"But I think you know,
That I can't let go,

If you change your mind,
I'm the first in line,
Honey I'm still free,
Take a chance on me,
If you need me, let me know,
Gonna be around,
If you've got no place to go,
If you're feeling down,"

Slowing down on dancing the both of you about, he changes tack and takes you back to the table, where he picks you up and places you to stand on it, while he sings to you from the cobblestones. He's got that godforsaken kissed by angels grin on, but in his eyes are genuine hope, like a child waiting for Santa to make his dreams come true.

"Let me tell you now,
My love is strong enough,
To last when things are rough,
It's magic!
You say that I waste my time,
But I can't get you off my mind,
No I can't let go,
Cause I love you so,"

And, to yours and Bill's and everyone's surprise, you let the music overtake you and pull Bill up to the table and start singing!

"If you're all alone,
And the pretty birds have flown,
Honey I'm still free,
Take a chance on me,
Gonna do my very best,
Baby can't you see?
Gotta put me to the test,
Take a chance on me,"

The entire congregation screams in joy, and overcome with emotion and longing and lust and love and excitement, you wrap your arms round Bill and passionately kiss him, something you've wanted to do for the last twenty years despite trying your hardest not to want, and he immediately holds you and kisses you back equally as passionately.

Around you there's laughter and cheering and clapping, but to you and Bill it's all a blur.

Your lips part from one another and you look deep into each other's eyes.
"I love you, Y/N. So much, and I'll never stop, I'll never stop proving to you how much I love you. Please, please be with me?"
You smile slowly, brushing a lock of his hair from his forehead. "Yes. Of course I will."

The surrounding people scream and get up from their seats and begin clearing the tables and chairs from the middle of the courtyard to dance merrily, but the two of you ignore them all, still standing together on the end table, everything else being taken apart.

Even when everyone begins dancing to the point where your mosaic shatters and a geyser of water plumes out from the ground and soaks you to the skin, you keep holding Bill and looking into his eyes.

You never want to let him go again.

But you know you'll have to at some point - you both have your own lives and careers in different parts of the world; you even have different types of boats, for crying out loud.

Bill senses the mental fog in your vision, and asks gently, "What is it?"
"I don't know how we can still go about our such separate lives together - I mean, that's one of the reasons we didnt make it in the first place."

"One of the many reasons," Bill corrects you, letting go of your shoulder to place his hand under your chin - it feels like it belongs there. "But, like all those many other reasons, it doesn't matter because this time we'll make it work. You know, I think I already have an idea."