☆28☆

Sophie Sheridan's fifth birthday on Kalokairi marked numerous occasions for the family. The first and most obvious was that Sophie turned five years old, and is clearly showing signs of being as impulsive as her mother and as whipsmart as her aunt.

The second is that, unfortunately, it was the day you all found out that Great Aunt Sophia has passed away quietly in her sleep. Not even her cocky dickhead nephew saw that coming.

She left you a note in her room that you came across in the lowering sun of the night as you trekked up there to say your final goodbye: it said that she would always be with you especially, guiding you along the right paths in her sassy old voice, and that she had given her life savings to Donna and Sophie to run the hotel your twin so dreamed of running on the island. She said in the note that you didn't need the money - you would become rich from your own adventures.

The third was that the night saw you packing up all your things, long after all the children had gone and Sophie had passed out and been carried to her bed from overdose on chocolate cake, until only Donna was left helping.

She told you she hadn't told your niece you were leaving, as you had spent more than half her life raising her and she was very good at kicking shins. Although you felt remorseful that you were leaving the little girl that had provided possibly the only ray of hope in your life for the past five years, you knew you had to go, so when everything was packed you and Donna walked silently down to the docks to see you off.

The fourth was your discovery that Donna had, in the last few months, saved up to buy you a proper boat with a small living area included, like a miniature version of Bill's but with less flair and more wooden planks showing.

You felt a tinge of sorrow about him when you ran your hand over your new friend; perhaps he was out there somewhere thinking the same about leaving, or about you. Despite your hating his guts for years now, you still wanted him to be thinking about you.

The fifth was that the blonde scandal himself had arrived in Kalokairi the next day, only several hours after you had left, upon hearing the news about his dear aunt.

He had found himself talking to Donna, whom caused him to break down in tears at the mention of his favourite family member passing on and the woman he had tried so hard to find in the past five years - you - he had just missed.

He set off again, too distraught to witness the funeral, but he knew that his aunt was still with him. She always would be. You were never even told he was there.

The sixth was that it was the day when Donna finally grew up. After over twenty years of shining in front of her twin sister and letting her do all the work, as she watched you sail off into the unknown and walked back to console her daughter in the morning about her dear Great Auntie, she felt both saddened and more determined than ever to be independent and diligent.

And the seventh, the final occasion that happened upon Sophie Sheridan's fifth birthday, was that you and your twin, both changing as it happened, sang together, connected by minds across oceans:

"Day is dawning and I must go,
You're asleep, but still, I'm sure you'll know,
Why it had to end this way,
You and I had a groovy time,
But I told you somewhere down the line,
You would have to find me gone,
I just have to move along,

Just another town, another train,
Waiting in the morning rain,
Lord, give my restless soul a little patience,
Just another town, another train,
Nothing lost and nothing gained,
Guess I will spend my life in railway stations,

When you wake I know you'll cry,
And the words I wrote to say goodbye,
They won't comfort you at all,
But in time you will understand,
That the dreams we dreamed were made of sand,
For a no-good bum like me,
To live is to be free,

Just another town, another train,
Waiting in the morning rain,
Lord, give my restless soul a little patience,
Just another town, another train,
Nothing lost and nothing gained,
Guess I will spend my life in railway stations,
Guess I will spend my life in railway stations..."

You both sang, and you both changed, because you had finally forgiven her.