5. Opposite Ends

"The devil's finest trick is to persuade you that he does not exist."- Charles Baudelaire

If everything wasn't already difficult enough, I stumbled upon Hegel's articles in an impetus to brush up on philosophy.

From reading, I came to an understanding that a speculative term Aufhebung, which means 'disputes itself', is the core of Hegel's arguments. The upholding of conceptions in a spiral movement is a delineation of the dialectical process in a spiral form, similar to that of the complementary strands of DNA.

Eventually it led me to think that complementary truths gave foundation to the systems in our world. For example, the underworld would emerge just as long did the government, and vice versa.

There's a little good in the bad and a little bad in the good, hence life blooms.

My train of thought was broken and I was thrown back to reality when suddenly the telephone placed almost at the edge of my study table, began to ring violently.

Are telephone ringtones always this loud?

"Tell me," I responded.

"There's an emergency, Doctor. A woman has met with a serious accident. I believe your presence is requested in the ER immediately," the voice spoke with a lack of breathe.

That was my cue to leave right away. I grabbed necessary instruments and hurried down to the ER.

The ER, technically the emergency room, is the most busy and chaotic room one can appear into in a hospital. Emergency physicians along with their frantic nurses crowded about a patient, who laid unconscious.

Blood drained drop by drop from her system despite their consistent efforts. The blue curtains around the bed remained open, unbothered about necessary discretion as they performed their duties hastily.

Machines depicting her vitality beeped in a span of every two seconds the corners around the gurney.

I witnessed them administering an IV plug into the veins at the proximal side of her hand while the others were busy disinfecting the wounds scattered across her lean injured body.

"What happened?" I asked whilst mentally preparing for a diagnosis by the looks of our invalid's condition.

After the gurney was wheeled into the operation theatre, I entered the room in my scrubs.

"It appears she was shot while driving, the bullet penetrated her left clavicles, gracing her subclavian artery. Eventually, lost balance and crashed somewhere nearby," one of the physicians explained.

I noticed Dr. Muller, an excellent orthopaedic surgeon, already working on the shattered clavicle with utmost focus.

"Dr. Kruger, the CT scan results have arrived and they indicate formation of pseudo-aneurysm at the left subclavian artery," a plumpy nurse reported, holding the reports nervously in her hands.

"If we don't act soon, it will take only a matter of time to turn serious, resulting into an actual aneurysm. Furthermore, causing rapid formation of blood clots and uncontrollable strokes," Wearing my gloves I briefed the rest of them about the possible threats of such a morbid circumstance ahead of us.