Chapter 2

*A/n: Words in bold are in sign language*

When the school day came to an end, Millie headed to her car and placed her stuff in the back seat. Right when she was about to get in, someone grabbed her arm and turned her around, shoving her back against the door.

"Hi, gorgeous."

Millie looked up at the man in shock, feeling small from the height difference and the way his strikingly blue eyes shone with lust. His dirty blonde hair ruffled slightly from hours of running his fingers through it and going wonderfully with his sharp jawline. His muscles bulged from underneath the red jersey he wore, the number standing out boldly in the front with the name 'James' spelt on his sleeves.  

"H-hi," Millie stuttered, getting more nervous and smaller by the second. He made her uncomfortable and it got worse when a crooked smile appeared across his mouth.

So much for not talking.

"Where's a pretty thing like you headed?" James asked, a southern accent surfacing in his voice. His hands shifted to her hips, making a fire from deep in her sprouting across her cheeks.

 "H-home."

"Oh come on, doll," James says, getting closer to her face than she would like. "Don't I deserve a little more than one-word answers from that pretty mouth of yours?"

"W-W-We just...I just m-met-" His eyes softened and placed his hands on the side of her arms, Millie just realizing that she was shaking from head to toe.

"You okay, doll? I don't mean to make you so nervous. Damn, you're shaken like a leaf."

"S-sorry, I-I just-"

"You just what, doll?" James began, a smirk forming across his mouth. "Think I'm incredible-"

"JAMES! WHERE ARE YOU, YOU DUMB FUCK?!"

James stiffened and moved away from Millie before taking off in the other direction, sending a wink her way before disappearing behind a car.

She sighed out in relief before getting in the car, buckling up, and locking her car. Blowing out a breath, Millie braced her head against the steering wheel, trying to calm her breathing. 

Everything's okay. She told herself over and over again. Everything was okay.

Taking a final breath, she started up the engine and drove home.

—————

Once Millie got in the driveway of her home, she pulled into the garage and walked inside.

"Mum, Dad I-I'm h-home!" She shouts, placing her things down next to the island. When her parents didn't answer, she walked over to the fridge and saw a note pinned there.

Hi love,

Your father and I just went out for our anniversary, we'll be home tomorrow morning.

Love, mum and dad.

Millie smiled. Her parents have been married for ten years and they still act as if they were in their teens. Their love was something she wished she would have but knew it wasn't possible with the stutter.

Sighing, Millie opened the fridge and grabbed the container holding the carrots. She placed it on the island and ate a few carrots when there was a knock on the door. She looked around then swallowed what was in her mouth before walking into the living room and to the front door.

Millie's heart pounded widely in her chest as she moved the curtain to the side, getting a better look at who it was. Her eyes widened and closed the curtains before opening the door.

His eyes grew wide before a smile spread across his mouth. "Darling, you're my neighbour?" Her heart stopped but quickly recovered and returned the smile. 

"H-hey Harry," She says, looking down at the thing on his hands. "What's t-that?"

His eyes moved away from her lips and looked at Millie with wide eyes before looking at the plate of cookies he held. "Oh, my mum wanted me to go around and give these to you." A faint blush bloomed across his cheeks as she took the plate from him. "I-I made them myself."

Millie looked him in the eye and smiled slightly before pulling the foil off them. She took a cookie out and bit into it when an explosion of flavour graced her tongue with its presence. Her eyes widened and looked up at the nervous boy.

"These are a-amaz-zing." He rose a brow at her before signing.

Does that mean you like them?

Millie nodded, a blush forming across her cheeks, before beckoning him inside.

Harry bit his lip and obliged before she closed and locked the door and followed after him into the kitchen; half a cookie in her mouth. A whistle caught her attention as she placed the plate of cookies on the counter.

"Nice place, Darling."

Millie finished off the cookie and walked over to Harry, signing,

Thank you for the compliment and the Chocolate chip cookies; they're our favourite. 

Sighing, in what seemed like a relief, Harry smirked.

"Good. I would be a little embarrassed if...if they weren't." Millie giggled and braced her elbows against the island, smiling at him. Then she signed,

How was the rest of your day at school?

Good. I made a few "friends," but I don't know that they're real or not.

Millie bit her lip and replied,

So you're new, right?

He nodded, which made her smile even more. Millie laughed and signed, What's got you smiling? Am I that cute?

Millie's cheeks reddened and when she tried to sign, her hands shook.

No...I mean yes, I...

Millie shook her head and tried to calm herself.

Sorry, I'm just not used to having friends. I went to high school without talking for about two years so, it's a little hard to believe that someone can understand signing.

Harry's eyebrows furrowed in confusion and opened his mouth to say something but closed it and tilted his head to the side before looking up. It was as if he was thinking before he looked back at Millie and asked, "Why don't you ever talk?"

The question caught her a little off guard but when she recovered,  she bit her lip and looked down at her hands before signing,

I rather not talk about it.

Harry shrugged and smirked. "Fair enough." He bit his lip then looked down for a second before looking back, saying,

"Hey, do you think it would be possible if we-"

He stopped talking when his phone vibrated. He pulled it out from his back pocket and read what came up before sighing and typing back. Once done, Harry put his phone away before looking at her and smiling. 

"Do you think I could get your number?"

Millie froze up. He was asking for her number? Him? Out of all the hot girls in our school, he wanted her number?

 Suppressing a smile at the thought of gaining another friend and exchanging numbered with each other, a giddy feeling bubbled inside her. 

"Great," He said, his smile a perfect replica of how she felt. "I'll text you later than...then. Or you could text me. Either one you know-" Harry's rambling was cut off by another vibrating and he bit his lip, the gesture alone really cute and warming. He let out an amused huff and put his phone away, smiling at her. Her heart did a little jump and her cheeks blossomed with heat.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Darling."

She bit her lip and smiled before signing,

You too.

And like that, he was gone, leaving Millie in a stricken, glorious mood.

She just got a cute boys number!

———

I haven't updated this story in sooooooooo long I apologize.

But here you are my children make with it what you will!

I hope you liked it and thanks for reading!