【Chapter 37】

❝ 𝐀 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧; 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦. ❞

 ❞

*𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐯*

An uncomfortable silence overflowed the room as the two mute, powerful figures sat eating their fill, none of them showing signs of provoking a conversation soon. Light streamed inside from the windows and onto the fractured marble floors, its dreary color synchronizing wonderfully with the shadowy and somber colors that the banners and designs around the dining room displayed.

Amid everything was a lengthy table with a red tattered table cloth laid in the middle of the charcoal-colored table; the feeling chilly and miserable against (Y/N) warm skin. Glancing over towards King, (Y/N) promptly looked away, seeing how jubilant he seemed—far too merry for her liking.

Soft clinking of silverware rung infrequently throughout the glorious and antique room, this annoying (Y/N) as the silence suffocated her proved to be too much for her to handle. Peering down at the warm and appetizing lunch that King prepared for both of them (Y/n) couldn't help but feel somewhat... off.

King—while amid what he depicted to be happy and caring silence—noted the sudden halt from his fellow partner, inducing for him to look up at her in worry. Still holding in silence, King examined her features—her actions and body language as best as he could, only to find nothing that would slightly aid in guessing what was hindering his valuable (Y/N).

"(Y/N), why aren't you eating your food? I made your favorite, too—roasted duck." Flinching at hearing his voice, a sudden, unanticipated chill ran down her spine as if icy water was being cascaded down her back. Not trying to look up at him (Y/N) just offered him a shrug.

"Nothings wrong, King; just not hungry anymore." Not contented with her answer, King let go of his knife and set it down tenderly on the table. "If something is wrong, you know you can tell me, don't you? I am your... best friend, after all." Pushing away the frown, King forced a smile on his face.

He didn't enjoy knowing that (Y/N) wouldn't acknowledge the fact that she loved him.

Grimacing at him saying that he was her 'best friend', (Y/n) sighed and stood up, placing the napkin that rested on her lap on the table as she bowed her head politely. "Forgive me, King—but I'm sleepy. I would like to retire for today." Without waiting for a response (Y/N) pushed in her lavish chair and turned away—only for her hand to be seized by another, smaller hand.

"Don't be shy, (Y/N)—you don't have to be so against your honest feelings!" Beaming up at (Y/N), King squeezed her hand in his as he tried to drag her back to her seat only for the stronger pull of (Y/N) to stop him. Turning his head around to look at her, King gave (Y/N) a baffled look.