8

Nicki

Nicki

Whenever I look at Megan, I look respectfully. For weeks she's been following me around aimlessly. I secretly love it but I pretend to be annoyed because she ran away from me a few times.

She checks on me I check on her.

I like the chase and she clearly likes to chase.

But sometimes it straight up, odds me out.

"Nick." I turn around and see the Stallion behind me in line.

"Y'all cute." Shawn and Beyoncé cuddle and giggle to us.

"Y'all too." I quickly snap back.

Beyoncé just kisses Shawn.

"Nick." Megan comes closer with a small canvas in her hand. "Made this for you."

I take the canvas she has extended towards me proudly. She handed it to me upside down.

She turns it around for me.

"It's you, Nick."

I take my time to look over Megan's work. My insides curl up and flutter. I can't stop the smile that displays on my face.

"Oh... Meg." I hug her tight. "Thank you, girl."

"It's an apology gift."

I arch my brow.

"What's you do?"

"For how I acted in the beginning."

I click my tongue and wave her off.

"Megan, I been forgave you. But thanks for the gift."

Megan is quite a special person to me. Slowly, I've grown to know why.

"Look, I gotchu now. You my bitch for the rest of the semester."

"Yo' bitch?"

"Yeah, you my wife now." I joke a bit.

For a split second we're just staring each other down, before Shawn pulls us out of it.

Megan decides to just hook her arm under mine and
she rambles about the portrait and everything about it. I won't lie, the thought of Megan is comforting. I don't mind my feeling towards her at all. I accept them.

Due to me being intersex and a lot of other girls being turned off to me, I've only had one girlfriend ever. Her name is Tiffany. Real sweet, it was such a beautiful relationship. However she was a military baby and picked up and moved when her dad moved bases. Eventually texts stopped coming back. Eventually I got that breakup text.

Am I scared to open my heart up to someone new? No. But I will say it's been a while since I've fallen in love. While it's amazing, it's something I've gotta get used to.

I've learned a lot about Megan since September.

1) While she isn't the best academically, she does fairly well when she applies herself.

2) she's a great artist all around.

3) she's a great writer

4) purple and red are her color, 100%

5) she's not "mean" or intimidating at all, truly

6) she's very sweet and buys me snacks any and everytime without me asking

7) really great with deep convos, but doesn't tell me a lot about her at the same time

8) she makes me feel warm inside

9) she cares about me academically and personally more than I do to her

10) she makes me excited to come to school

11) I think about her whenever she's not with me.

Almost on cue, Megan stops at a vending machine and points to the glass.

"Whatchu want?" She clacks her nails on the glass.

"Megan..."

"Nicki..."

I give in, she's just too damn sweet to me. For some reason, I can't say 'no' to her.

"Munchies, but you pamper me too much."

"And?"

She punches in 'E5' and the munchies fall. Megan grabs herself some hot fries and we continue. I admire her hard with my munchies in hand.

"Thanks for the chips, Meggy."

"You welcome."

"Ew, don't chew witcha mouf open!"

She just laughs. We continue down the hall and lo and behold Aubrey and one of his other friends (that honestly rubs me the wrong way) approach. I don't even blame Aubrey because he isn't aware that we don't like each other.

I think Megan senses my body language because she pulls me into her closely.

"Hey Nick! Hey Megan!"

Megan's arm snakes up to my shoulder and I'm pulled closer to her chest. She plays with my braids with that same arm.

"Hey." We both respond.

The girl looks at me, "Hey y'all."

Aubrey begins talking to me. I'm completely out of it, my eyes never leaving the floor.

"She makin' you uncomfortable?"

I just nod.

"Ooouuu, Nick and I gotta go help Mr. Johnston with Holiday bulletin board decorations!"

Megan drags me outta there before he can even respond.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I reassure her, she looks very worried. "I think I'm gonna put this artwork as mah wallpaper, I love it so much."