Chapter 9

Raul and Topaz did finally make it out of the bedroom. It was late enough, Topaz fixed them something to eat while they laughed and talked together. They were still sitting at the table when Topaz's phone went off.

It was her sister Dana on the other end. Sounding extremely upset, Dana yelled, "Where are you Topaz? I went to the store to see you, and you weren't there. You told me you were working today!"

Topaz pulled the phone from her ear and Raul growled low. She glanced up and gave him a smile letting him know it was okay. Placing the phone back to her ear, Topaz calmly explained, "I did go to work Dana, but something important came up and I had to leave."

"What is more important than us being able to pay our rent?" Dana asked though she was a bit calmer now. "You know I don't like not knowing where you are."

Topaz grunted as she ran her fingertips through her tangled hair. "I know Dana, but I'm a grown woman and don't have to tell you every move I make. I apologize for making you worry though; I didn't think about you looking for me today. Why were you looking for me?"

Dana huffed, then sniffed slightly before saying, "Bobby broke up with me. He said this is the end, that he won't be coming around anymore, no matter how much I beg. He said he's found somebody else who he actually gets along with all the time."

"Ah, Dana, I'm sorry," Topaz told her. "Maybe it's for the best though because it seems as if fighting is all the two of you have done lately."

"I guess," Dana agreed with another sniffle. "Are you going to be home tonight though?"

Topaz looked over at Raul. She knew he was hearing everything Dana said by the sad look on his face. Finally answering, she asked, "I don't know, Dana, why?"

"I don't want to be alone tonight," Dana answered. "I figured if you were going to be home, I'd be here, but if you aren't, I'm going to see my mom."

Topaz nibbled her lip. "Go see your mom. I know she'll be happy to see you," Topaz said. She watched as right before her eyes Raul's hang-dog look changed into a smile.

"I guess that means no," Dana muttered. "Okay, I'll see you some time then."

"Bye, Dana," Topaz said and hung up.

"Are you going to stay with me tonight?" Raul asked softly.

"Do you want me to?"

"You know I do," he told her as he gave her hand a slight squeeze. "I'd keep you here with me forever if you'd allow me to."

"I don't..."

"I know, you aren't ready for that yet because you're human and you weren't raised being told what to expect from the mating bond, but I hope you will be soon," Raul told her. "I need you with me, Topaz. Since you accepted me, the need to be with you, to touch you, will be even stronger than it already was."

"It's not that I'm not ready, exactly," Topaz told him after just looking at him for a long moment as she thought about what she wanted to tell him. "I think the biggest thing is, I don't really understand the whole mate pull... bond... thing, but I am trying Raul. I'm trying to understand the differences between us, and I want to make it work, I do. I'm trying to understand all these new feelings I have, how I missed you to the point I had to almost fight myself to keep from coming to see you. It's all so new to me to feel that strongly about someone when it's never happened to me before."

"Then don't fight it, just roll with it," Raul suggested. "I think you will find we will both be incredibly happy if you can do that."

Sighing deeply, Topaz agreed, "I'm beginning to think you're right."