chapter seven: orange

There was a fresh aroma in the air, mixed of fruit and spice. Anyone who walked by would've slowed their pace for a second, to get another whiff of the heavenly smell.

A figure stood behind the kitchen counter, dark hair up in a bun. She wore dark sweatpants, a simple dark tee, and a dark apron (with the Miyata logo on it). She was whisking something around in a big bowl, light music playing in the background.

It was the weekend, and this was Akane's first break in her time at Totsuki, and she was already enjoying it. It was nine in the morning, and she'd just freshened up after rising from her comfortable bed. She was making herself breakfast, a little extra for leftovers for the next day.

A sudden knock was heard over her music, and Akane didn't glance up. "Come in," she called, loud enough for the person to hear.

She heard the door open, along with steps. She glanced up, spotting the messy head of black hair. He took long strides over towards her, stopping on the other side of the counter. "It smells good," he said.

"You can have some," Akane replied, pouring the contents of her smoothie out of the blender. She poured the liquid into two cups, sliding one over to Ryou. She continued with the main course, as Ryou was quiet and let her work.

A few minutes later, the two of them sat beside each other on the seats at the counter.

Ryou was, again, amazed by her skills as it was his second time trying her food. "It tastes good."

"Yeah?" she replied quietly. "Well, you owe me a dish of yours later. Seafood, was it?"

He nodded silently. "What's your specialty, anyways?"

Akane paused for a moment. "I don't really think I have one."

Ryou turned his head, looking into her honest eyes. "You don't have one?" She shook her head in response. "What's your best dish in Takayama, then?"

"Curry," she replied without hesitation. "Can someone specialize in curry?"

Ryou blinked. "You should ask the head chef. He probably knows."

They continued to eat for a little.

"Hey," Akane said as they were doing the dishes, "are you free?"

He nodded.

"Alice isn't with you today?" she questioned further.

He shook his head. "She's at a family reunion today and tomorrow, so I'm free."

"I'm going to shop for some things for my dorm. Do you want to come?" Ever since she'd arrived. Akane hasn't yet had the chance to shop for kitchen supplies, or just stuff that she needed in general.

Ryou nodded. "I'll come with."

Akane send him a thumbs up, grabbing her keys and wallet, as well as her phone. "Let's go."

She locked her door, and started to walk left. Ryou wasn't walking with her, an eyebrow raised in her direction.

"You don't even know where the mall is, do you?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.