chapter eleven: jealousy jealousy

"Aka-rin?"

Akane blinked away any signs of sleep. Her eyes shot forwards, where she spotted Eishi looking at them with narrowed eyes filled with hurt.

"Eishi," she greeted tiredly. She felt Ryo's grip tighten around her, his eyes focused on the white-haired boy in front of them. "Are you on your way to your dorm?"

Eishi's grip tightened around the bag in his hand, at her nonchalant attitude. "What are you doing?" he snapped, glaring at Ryo.

"What's it to you?" Ryo replied, tilting his head down at the shorter boy.

He didn't reply. Eishi didn't know the answer. Why did he care so much? He was the one that ended things. "What are you to her?" he replied, ignoring Ryo's question.

"We're together," he replied bluntly, glancing briefly at her. "Not officially, but we're together." Akane smiled softly at his statement and leaned into him. 

"Were you just passing by?" Akane asked Eishi.

Eishi gulped. "Yeah," he murmured. "Yeah. This was a mistake." With his sudden words, he just rushed off, without a glance back. 

Ryo and Akane turned to look at each other. 

"What was that about?" Akane mumbled. She stuck in the key to her dorm and pushed it open. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

Ryo nodded and gave her a short pat on the head. "Sleep tight." Akane let out a soft gasp when Ryo suddenly placed his lips on hers, which took her by surprise. It was quick but affectionate enough for her. "I like you."

Akane laughed and gave him a peck on the nose. "I like you too," she replied. "Good night, Ryo." 

"Night, Akane."

Akane shut her door once he left, and began to get un-ready. She took a short shower and went through with her night routine as she did every day. She was in quite a good mood after the date and felt rather giddy. Still, Akane felt a bit wary of Eishi's sudden reappearance in her life. She saw the uncertainty in his eyes when he looked at her, as well as the longing gaze that fell on her. 

Although Akane had missed Eishi, she couldn't imagine herself going back to him. She saw their past relationship as something in the past, and nothing more. If Eishi were to ask her out again...well, she would turn him down without hesitation. 

It was safe to say that her heart was stolen by someone else. 

Suddenly, Akane's phone began to ring loudly. The name on her screen made her quickly pick up. "Aikawa-san."

"Okazaki!" said a familiar smooth voice. "Are you busy right now?"

"I'm not," Akane replied. She sat down at her couch and placed her phone down, putting it on speaker.  

"How have you been?" Aikawa asked. "I figured you've been quite busy, so I haven't bothered calling."

"I'm fine." She scratched the side of her face, and leaned her head back. "How is the restaurant holding up?"