CHAPTER 8: The Rogue Servant

Childe sighed, clutching the pair of phoenix and dragon chopsticks in his hands, his knuckles turning white at the grip. He stood right in front of those giant, double doors, knowing that this was a routine he was just going to have to get used to. He had a rough time sleeping last night and of course, waking up was just as much of a hassle.

He woke up with his eyes wide, breaths heavy, a whiter face than usual, and hair batched up and tangled like spaghetti. Yes, it was definitely a struggle to get out of bed in the morning for him and also an irritation to take his wild hair. He had a big feeling today was gonna be like any other day. He was to have breakfast with Zhongli, then linger in his room for heaven knows how many hours, walk out in the courtyard, have dinner with Zhongli, sleep, repeat. Almost as if that was all he could do.

Which it felt like that was all he could do. He knew soon he was going to attend some council meetings and military meetings with Zhongli to get to know the people involved in these said meetings but that was to start in likely a month or longer.

Even so, he still wished he had something to do. His work ethic in Snezhnaya is what he grew into. This sudden shift of work isn't really doing him as well as he expected.

" Prince, Is something the matter? Your eyes are pensive and still." asked the servant who escorted him to the dining area. Childe blinked, finally snapping out of his faze and facing the servant. For some reason, Lumine was out today. She had another task she had to tend to so she had someone else fill in for her in the caretaking of Tartaglia.

" I'm fine." He said and the servant nodded.

Finally, he pushed open those doors, this time being surprised with what he found behind them. First of all, a smell hit his nose. A sweet smell. A smell he could only recognize in Snezhnaya when the blizzards were harsh and the sun was hidden away by clouds. Second, he spotted Zhongli, sitting in his usual chair. He managed to finally beat Tartaglia at making it to the dinner table first. As astonishing as both feats were, Tartaglia was mostly focused on the first one then the second.

The second he smelt that wonderful scent, a feeling of nostalgia washed over him. Without even noticing it his legs were already jogging towards the table as if they had a mind of their own. He took his seat, unaware of the prince on the other end who had said "good morning" to him.

Right when he was about to pull out his chopsticks from the box they were within to feed the ravenous feeling in his stomach, he was interrupted by a loud and irritated "Ahem" that was said from the far end of the table.

Childe looked up from the table slowly, his blue, widened eyes clashing with confused gold-infused ones. Childe instantly stiffened, realizing how childish he was being as of now. " Good morning...?" He muttered when Zhongli raised a brow at him. He slugged in his chair and dug his teeth into his lip, embarrassed. The brunette sighed. " I've never had Snezhnayan food before. At least until today, that is." He began, forgetting the scene that took place before, which Childe was grateful for. " I don't really know much about these dishes... Can you enlighten me?"

Childe began to sit up a bit in his seat, feeling less humiliated than before. He cleared his throat. " Sure I could..." he began, but suddenly came to a halt when he realized something.

" Wait before I start though— May I ask why Snezhnayan food is being served today" Ever since Childe got to Liyue all he had was Liyuan food, not that it's bad or anything but this new food choice felt so random. He had to question it. But yet again, he wasn't complaining. This was food from his own nation, of course, he'd be glad to have it.

" I requested this,'' Zhongli began, earning a tilt of the head by Tartaglia. Taking note of the Snezhnayan's confusion, he continued explaining. " I did this because I sensed that maybe you have been taken in a lot the last few days, haven't you? Moving to Liyue, having to adapt to the culture and lifestyle... You probably miss Snezhnaya," He admitted, candidly. Childe didn't respond at first. It was true. Very true. He did miss Snezhnaya and its people. He missed Mother, Teucer, Tonia, his people, the council officials of Snezhnaya, and much more. He missed his hectic job, strolling into small villages, feeling snowflakes melt against his skin, having white snow get into his boots, and exhaling puffs of dry, cold air.