Chapter 7

Trent's POV

We'd slept, refreshed, and now it was time to face Leeds. Having a 12:30 kick off means that we're the first game of the day, so we have to win and make a mark – show that we mean business and we're here to fight to win the Premier League. City are currently 3 points above us and Chelsea 3 points below, so we have to put the pressure on. In other words, a win today is imperative.

I was starting in the back line with Virg, Joel and Kostas. Behind us was Ali in goal, and in front was Hendo, Thiago and Fab. Up front was Mo, Diogo and Sadio. Diogo had managed to get out of being snowed in because he'd left training early to get his booster vaccine – lucky sod.

"Trent, you ready?" Hendo asked me.

"I think so." I replied.

"What do you mean?" Hendo frowned.

Usually my answer is that I'm ready and raring to go. But today is different. (Y/N)'s in the crowd, and I really want to impress her. I don't do nerves – I never have and I thought I never would. But right now I was being proved wrong.

"(Y/N)'s watching." I said in a low voice. "And I don't wanna let her down."

Hendo nodded knowingly, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Listen mate, no matter what happens in this game you won't let her down. You could never let her down. She'll be proud of you no matter what. I get that you want to impress her, but you don't need to. She doesn't like you because of what you can do on the football pitch. She likes you for you." Hendo explained. I couldn't help the smile that spread over my face and the blush that covered my cheeks.

"Thanks Hendo." I said.

"Pleasure. Now, get in line. We walk out any minute." Hendo instructed. I took my place in line and the next thing I knew we were walking out in front of a full Anfield. Because of the COVID situation, this may be the last time I see Anfield full for a while, so I wanted to drink it in.

I took a glance up towards the section where I knew (Y/N) would be sitting with Robbo. I hope he's been looking after her like I told him to...and I hope he hasn't told her any embarrassing stories about me. We got ready for kick off, taking the knee before the game started.

I knew if we stuck to our game plan we could win today. And the scoring was opened early. In the 8th minute Kostas and Mo linked up, with Kostas providing the assist for Mo to tap in to an open goal. Brilliant. 1-0.

After scoring one we became hungry for more. We had most of the possession and were dominating the game, threatening attacks causing havoc for the Leeds defence every time. I played a cross into Diogo, who headed the ball just wide of the target. He waved an arm up towards me in apology but I just shrugged it off – we can't score from every opportunity we create (even though I wish we could).

Kostas slipped up and gave the ball away in a dangerous area to Raphinha, arguably Leeds' most threatening player, however Ali came to our rescue and managed to save his strike.

After that it was all us again. And in the 34th minute we finally capitalised on one of our opportunities. For some reason I was left completely free on the right hand side, and before any Leeds player could do anything about it I'd set myself up to play a cross into the box. All Diogo had to do was head it home and it was 2-0 to us. My ninth assist in the Premier League this season, and (Y/N) was there to see it. I hadn't screwed up so far.

Half time came and went, and the main contents of our team talk was simply more of the same apart from to tighten up a bit at the back because on a few occasions we'd given the ball away cheaply and the opposition had almost been clean through on goal.